Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Southern Star brewery's Rauchbier
While I love bacon (as do most all americans), i don't particularly want it in my beer!

close second is anything that uses malt liquor and calls it beer!

Years ago a friend bought me a bottle of "Misisisippi Mud" at a bowling alley.

It tasted like MUD, and I poured it down the sink. Kept the bottle as it was kool!

I have to agree with a few previous posts that Olympia was awful. I think it tasted better coming back up than it did going down.

Another is Hamm's Special Light. I think the "Special" was for the Special Ed class that developed the recipe. I had a friend whose mother used to drink that swill. In all the years that I spent over at his house I stole exactly one can of that crap. Couldn't even finish the can.

But probably the worst concoction that I've ever had the misfortune of pouring down my throat is Rainier. To this day, I am convinced that this beer was developed and marketed by the Dept. of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms in an attempt to curb underage drinking in Washington State. It worked for me on many occasions. I don't think I ever got an entire can down. That putrid abomination was heavily advertised in Eastern Washington while I was in high school and often was the only beer available at parties. You can't be choosy when others are buying your booze, but if that was all that was available that night, I would "Just say NO". There were many nights I went home sober rather than submit myself to that hell. I think many people's prayers were answered the day that beer was finally put out of it's misery.

Shoot's I use to drink lots of Oly back int he 60's. Wasn't that bad, or was I to young to know better?????????????????? :drunk:

For me it had to be wolavers alta gracia coffee porter. Cold coffee, not beer. The only beer ive ever dumped was sam adams imperial white. Ill choke pretty much anything down, but that was horrible. For ciders, Crispin was really bad. The one with the black label. Strange but Crispin honey has become one of my faves

I just tried the Wolavers cofee porter on Friday from a tap and I LOVED it. I didn't think the coffee flavor was overwhelming, and i also do not like cold coffee drinks. Did you have it on draft of from a bottle? To each their own - i guess that's why so many different types of beer are out there :mug:

Jota21 said:
I just tried the Wolavers cofee porter on Friday from a tap and I LOVED it. I didn't think the coffee flavor was overwhelming, and i also do not like cold coffee drinks. Did you have it on draft of from a bottle? To each their own - i guess that's why so many different types of beer are out there :mug:

I just drank the last bottle of a six and it was a totally different beer. The first five i had around christmas. The coffee flavor must have mellowed with a bit of age. The last one had a more chocolate flavor with hints of vanilla and coffee. Definitely a much different experience.

Southern Star brewery's Rauchbier
While I love bacon (as do most all americans), i don't particularly want it in my beer!

close second is anything that uses malt liquor and calls it beer!

I have actually had this beer! Drank it at their brewery open house / tour thing. It was the first and only smoked porter I have every had. Seeing as it is one of those acquired tastes, I reserved any judgment. It tastes exactly like one would think. My first words to my friends, after tasting it, were, somewhat jokingly, "Mmmmm, bacon beer." I did drink the whole thing, but spent the rest of the time drinking Pine Belt Pale Ale. I wouldn't call it bad, just different. Assumed it was representative of the style, but I don't know if that style is something I would drink on a regular basis.

My wife decided to buy the Sam Adams Blackberry Wit one time, and I agree that it wasn't good at all. I'm not "opposed" to fruit in beer, but my feeling is that all these "X fruit wheat beers" are just the next step past the malternative market that includes Smirnoff Ice and wine coolers, drinks that are marginally beer-like, but mostly taste like kool-aid. Everybody's trying to be the next Blue Moon, and I don't blame them really.

SA Stoney Brook Red Ale = french mustard, no thank you.

Kona Brewing Pipeline Porter = burnt coffee...no head...no thank you.

Fosters = Didn't like it at first...had too much of a vanilla bean flavor to it.

Bootleggers Mint Chocolate Stout. This has been their seasonal offering the past few winters. Tastes like drinking chocolate stout while chewing a wad of winter green gum. Definitely not my cup of tea, but the guys at the brewery say it sells well during the holidays.

I was recently offered a can of MGD64...... I am utterly speechless.... Who in there right mind drinks this stuff?... It tasted like soda water with a few flecks of yeast in it... At the end of the night I was offered the entire case... What a huge suprize..! As I regretfully declined, I had a great idea, and a pellet gun.... So I went out and grabbed a case of Sam Adams lager, and we spent the rest of the evening practicing our shooting skills... That's all MGD64 is good for... What a waste of water.... As a funny note, the raccoon that came through the yard at 3am, also turned it's nose up at the spillage, raccoons apparently don't eat everything...

Wow,SNPA is the worst beer youve ever had? Id love to try the rest of the beers youve ever had then.. those must be some tasty brews

Considering he doesn't like the bitter taste, he must simply be an anti-hophead.

First; I'm surprised that so many people hate SA Cherry Wheat. I used to really like that stuff. I drank it often and by choice during the 90's and early 2000. Something must have changed since then. I haven't had one in quite some time so I might have to to see what's happened.

My worst wasn't a single beer but anything my wife and I tried at the Tahquamenon Falls Brewery in Michigan's U.P. Every beer was bland and tasted the same regardless of style. Granted, this was also in the late 90's so things may have changed.

First; I'm surprised that so many people hate SA Cherry Wheat. I used to really like that stuff. I drank it often and by choice during the 90's and early 2000. Something must have changed since then. I haven't had one in quite some time so I might have to to see what's happened.

My worst wasn't a single beer but anything my wife and I tried at the Tahquamenon Falls Brewery in Michigan's U.P. Every beer was bland and tasted the same regardless of style. Granted, this was also in the late 90's so things may have changed.

IMO, ALL of SA's beers have changed slightly over the past 5-6 years.

I almost forgot (and honestly how that happened is beyond me!!) but the worst beer I've ever had was this Hibiscus flavored travesty they were passing off as beer at the Dockside Restaurant (micro-brewery by the same name, located inside the Granville Island Hotel in Vancouver, BC). Wow! Words can't even do this stuff justice....basically, take a dozen hibiscus flowers, pass them through your blender, and then add that sludge to the worst beer you've ever had. That should do it!!

Hands Down:
chili.jpg

True, I do ot like a bitter hoppy taste at all. That's why I prefer belgian white. I also am very choosy when it comes to beer. If it seems like it might be bitter I won't go near it. However there are so cheapo beers that I will drink just because, such as Busch lol. I've also liked Amberbock and Land Shark. Now, if only I could find a pint or two of Eichbaum Exportbier...
SNPA is the hoppiest I can remember tasting.

Try drinking hoppy beers when theyre colder. Some of the bitter flavor recedes, and the fruity flavor comes to the surface

Beast is about as bad as it gets if you ask me. I've had a few completely unwarranted hangovers from that one. Tastes just like a metal can.

Jota21 said:
Hands Down:

I actually like the cave creek chili beer. Spicy! I want to try something similar with some homegrown peppers. You don't need Tabasco on your pizza with that beer!

Olympia has got to be the worst. Granted, it's been 30 years since I last had it but the taste stuck with me.

Leinenkugel Summer Shandy and Budeweiser's American Ale round out the top 3 of nasty $***

I seen sierra nevada pale ale and red chair on this list. I am calling bull**** less both these guys have only tried two beers and one was sierra Nevada pale ale and the other was red chair

Steel Reserve 221 hands down... we all had one in memory of my brother's friend who was killed in Iraq(who drank them pretty regularly)... man... that was the most conflicting moment of my adult life... cause I couldn't just spit it out... like drinking straight mercury... and I'm pretty sure it sat in my stomach for like 3 days... lol!

Also... a friend picked up a 6 er of Wild Blue to try... and yeh... ended up buying a Dead Guy to wash it down... we gave the other 4 to a homeless guy... and he started cursing at us. You know it's bad when the homeless guy who smells of sewage and hasn't brushed his teeth in a year can't stand the taste of it...

I actually like the cave creek chili beer. Spicy! I want to try something similar with some homegrown peppers. You don't need Tabasco on your pizza with that beer!

I got a bottle of that for x-mas. My brother and his girlfriend got me and SWMBO a case of mix/match bottles. We lined them all up on the counter and had a draft (no pun intended) to pick 12 for each of us. The chili beer was picked dead last, by me, and it took me about a month to work up the courage to try it.

It is the only beer that i've ever poured down the drain. I could only choke down half a sip... Glad someone likes it though! :mug:

Tiger Beer in Singapore and Malaysia.

It's probably in my bottom five or for this thread I guess my top 5. One of the few beers that the more you drink the worse it gets. I avoid it at all costs when in Singapore. It doesn't help that the locals talk about it being made with formaldehyde which sounds like a bit of an urban legend but it is totally believable after having some.

Rounding out the worst for me - Meisterbrau in a can. Awful when fresh, but my father in law had to keep it stored in his garage where the temperature in the summer would exceed 100 degrees. The single redeeming feature was that it was ridiculously cheap. I thought it couldn't get worse but they were trailblazers and jumped on the light beer bandwagon early and introduced Meisterbrau light. Mercifully, I don't think they are in business anymore.

Tiger Beer in Singapore and Malaysia.

tiger beer is still a much better option than many other non-exported beers in south east asia, though it normally costs more in the bars.

speaking of bad beers, Gary from homebrew TV just nearly gagged drinking Orange Blossom beer from Buckbean Brewery in his latest episode (#28).

Big Flats Premium Lager. seen this at Walgreens one night and thought id try a sixer for the hell of it.

if i was dehydrated, severly, i wouldnt waste the 2.99 a sixer.

i still have 3 in my fridge, i gave a couple to people that were pidsin and moaning about no "regular" beer in my fridge. they didnt even like it.

tastes exactly like seltzer water only with no aroma of any kind. maybe a bit of CO2 aroma.

Laker Lager from Ontario. Horrible. Since there is a minimum price on beer in Ontario ( Price Fixing ) even lousy beer sells for a premium price. $26.40 a case. Start a brewery in Ontario, brew crap beer and get rich.

Back