Randall 3.0?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maltose

Reaction score
I've seen a few threads on here from people who have built their own Randall (hop infusing draft device). I was just on DFH's website and noticed that last month they revealed their updated model, Randall 3.0:

Randall_3.preview.jpg

Apparently, it drastically cuts down on the foam that results after the hops are infused in the device. Anyone thinking of building one? I really want to build this for my bar.

Are there plans on here for the earlier models of the Randall? Or has anyone built one that they'd like to share with the rest of us?

what hooks into what? Beer comes in from which port and what is the purpose of the 2 brass(?) fixtures atop the device?

Are there plans on here for the earlier models of the Randall? Or has anyone built one that they'd like to share with the rest of us?

do a search for "Randall build". a couple of people have made their own. the main complaint is the overly excessive foaming.

what hooks into what? Beer comes in from which port and what is the purpose of the 2 brass(?) fixtures atop the device?

the fitting at the bottom on the left of the picture is where beer comes in via a shank with the beer line attached. it then flows through the two chambers where the hops are packed.

the two vents on the top of the chambers are auto air vents to release air that builds up and contributes to foaming. i'm not exactly sure how it works, but i've emailed DFH to get the low down and hopefully plan my own build. i'll keep you guys updated. :ban:

Whole house water filter housing from sLowes with purge valve on top. Many a person has done it to find out the results are more flash than flavor. I did leave one full of beer in my kegerator after a party and the first beer out of the tap was quite hopped up.

Whole house water filter housing from sLowes with purge valve on top. Many a person has done it to find out the results are more flash than flavor. I did leave one full of beer in my kegerator after a party and the first beer out of the tap was quite hopped up.

Interesting I was thinking of building one. Doesn't sound like your all that impressed with the results. Are the beers after the first beer just foamed up without the benefit of added flavor/aroma?

Interesting I was thinking of building one. Doesn't sound like your all that impressed with the results. Are the beers after the first beer just foamed up without the benefit of added flavor/aroma?

I didn't have many problems with the foaming as I ran the filter backward and had a stainless tube perforated about 1/3 up from the bottom pull from the bottom that remained submerged for the most part. I also had a purge valve at the top to let the excess gas out. Strong beers pull out some hop flavor, but, at times, its like chewing on a hop with vegetation taste and all. I just formulate my recipes the way I like them originally. To me the randall comes out at parties and such for a novelty.

No matter how I search i can't find any info on how to actually build a randall 3.0

Same, can't find it. I did get a chance to use one in my bar for a Dogfish event a couple weeks ago. The newly redesigned model has hardly any crazy foam. The only time it foamed up was after pouring about 5 pints one after another. I'd let it rest for 30 secs, then go at it again no problem.

Just to describe how the new one works, the beer enters from the rear :ban: then into the first chamber filled with hops. It then goes to the second chamber, which is surrounded by ice. The combination of "cold-flashing" the beer before it is dispensed and the two air release valves on the top helps the beer pour smoothly. And for any critics of whether it makes any difference...we used Sorachi Ace hops and fresh rosemary on the 60 Min, and it made a world of difference. Super fresh herbal taste coupled with those delicious Sorachi hops....YUM. We only used about 4-6 oz. of the hops and it lasted through the whole 1/2 bbl.

The construction looked like the food grade PVC stuff and the chambers were some sort of clear molded plastic. It looks doable and I'll try to find the guy at DFH to see if we can get some plans.:rockin:

Couldn't this randall 3.0 be used as sort of a 'Torpedo' ala Sierra Nevada?

So you'd use it to recirculate beer (with a pump) out of the keg--> thru the randall--> back into the same keg.

Recirc like that for like and hour and that should be a similar result... no?

I am looking at trying something very similar fastricky. I am planning on switching over to pressurized fermentation and want to try this as method of dry hopping under pressure. To start, I may just try using the single filter housing I have and put it inline between the fermenter and the destination keg and slowly counter pressure transfer.

As for returning to the same keg, I have thought about the same technique, and the question I came up with were, would you use a diaphragm pump to pull from the outlet and return to the inlet? Seems like you might get some aeration/agitation by returning through the inlet, plus since both outlets are used, you wouldn't be able to push or purge with co2

I think you could do this and not worry about any O2 entering...just purge all the lines (while connected to the pump so the pump is purged too) with CO2. It's a closed system so no way any O2 could enter... Both kegs are purged already. The pump would drive from the 1st keg to the 'randall' and then pressure would push the beer to the 2nd keg. To make a loop, the 2nd kegs 'in' valve would need to have a longer than usual dip tube so the beer would be pushed back into the 1st keg. In my mind it's perfect anyways!!

I've got one. It's alot of fun at parties.

It comes with a complete diagram and where all the parts were ordered. They sell it for cost BTW.

That would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Man! I'd be disappointed if it was copyrighted, they state that it's "Open Source" on their page.

Hrmmmphh, that website is so dense I couldn't find it...

I just typed Randall into the search

http://www.dogfish.com/company/tangents/randall-the-enamel-animal.htm

Yes - beginning 9/23/10, we will be selling Randall 3.0 on our website. We'll have a small pile of them built and ready to ship. Once the first group is gone, we'll get cracking on more! We are selling these AT COST for $375.00 plus shipping to retailers and/or individuals. Add a comment here on this page to let us know your dream beer/ingredient combo - who knows ... maybe we'll use your idea at our next Randall event!

OMG Bacon Beer

http://www.dogfish.com/community/events/dogfish-promo/21926/randall-meet-bacon-bacon-randall.htm

-=Jason=-

I'm debating on building one like the v3.0 or v1.0, if 1.0 it will go inside the kegerator, if v3.0 it will go on the 8 tap tower to be displayed. Decisions, decisions...

I'm debating on building one like the v3.0 or v1.0, if 1.0 it will go inside the kegerator, if v3.0 it will go on the 8 tap tower to be displayed. Decisions, decisions...

I would as well. I like the idea that 3.0 was created to reduce the foam issues of the earlier models, though.

Found the pic in your Gallery, here it is! Thanks a million!

Any chance we could get a little clearer pic? It's really difficult to read the part numbers. I'll do my best to decipher them and put everything in a spreadsheet.

randall.jpg

Latest posts

Back