Barley Crusher 7# vs 15#

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azurelimits

Reaction score
I am planning on ordering a Barley Crusher, Should I get the 7# or the 15#, Is there a difference (other than hopper size)? Thanks

It's just the hopper size. It really doesn't matter. I got the 7# because it was cheaper and takes up less room.

The machine is the exact same. I myself ordered the 7lb and wished I had spent the little bit more for the 15lb hopper.

The problem is that in doing any 5 gallon all-grain batch you're using more than 7lbs of grain, since I usually brew alone it's a bit of a challenge to run the drill, hold the crusher over the bucket and pour into the crusher all at once. The one time I had a helper it was no problem whatsoever.

I'd say if money is really tight and/or storage space is limited get the 7lb and deal with the slight inconvenience, if not get the 15lb and you'll be glad you did.

I have the 7lb and my solution for bigger grain bills was the cut the bottom off a plastic water jug, flip it upside down, stick it in the hopper, then fill w/ the grain. No refilling needed and you'll probably be able to hold more than the 15# hopper!

http://yfrog.com/0n5e8xj

I have the 7lb and my solution for bigger grain bills was the cut the bottom off a plastic water jug, flip it upside down, stick it in the hopper, then fill w/ the grain. No refilling needed and you'll probably be able to hold more than the 15# hopper!

http://yfrog.com/0n5e8xj

That is exactly what I did, it works great! I have a racket ball on a pull wire that goes to the bottom to block the opening, I weigh my grain and put it directly from the scale into the jug as it sits on a carboy drying rack, then I put the bottle in the hopper and pull the racket ball out to let the grain dump in while I run the drill.

Latest posts

Back