Keezer outside in FL?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersh

Reaction score
We are moving back to Tampa in a couple months, and one of my first orders of business is to put together a kegging system of some kind. I already know that SWMBO is going to give me grief about whatever I build, but she's just going to have to deal with it lol. So my options are 1) convert a mini-fridge to a 2 tap kegerator and keep it inside in the kitchen 2) keezer either somewhere inside or in the garage or 3) keezer outside under a covered lanai.

I'd much prefer a 4 tap keezer over a 2 tap kegerator, so if I go that route I'm thinking it would be a nice addition to our patio, especially if I built something like this that could be used as an outdoor bar:

pub1.jpg
(just the keezer, not the stuff in the background)

So this is my question... would having a keezer outside in the hot Florida summer put undue stress on the compressor?

I keep mine outside and it works just fine.

Thanks, after thinking about it for a bit, I know many people in FL who have fridges or freezer in their garage and have no problems. Obviously the compressor will run more frequently, but I don't see it being a big problem.

yep. even then, here in gainesville the weather still gets up to 70s and 80s in the winter and my freezer is on maybe... 3-4 hours a day

My biggest concern would be something growing/living in the tap. If the taps are outside, covered, in the shade, I think would be primo critter conditions. Garages are so (*&*& hot in the summer, nothing wants to be in there.

I wouldn't worry about how much the equipment runs, thats the price of doing business. You might look into plugs for the taps to keep critters out.

My biggest concern would be something growing/living in the tap.

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that... I'll have to take that into consideration as well.

Additionally, another thing I'd be worried about is excessive condensation building up on the towers. I plan to have a PC fan blowing cold air up into the towers to prevent foamy first pours, and with the humidity and heat I'm afraid I might have some serious condensation issues.... Here's a sketch of what I'm planning to build:
my_keezer.jpg

Back