Add some spice to my bock with a bit of rye?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shagington

Reaction score
So now that my fiasco with the liquid sausage beer, Rauchbier, is to the final stage of brewing it on Friday, I now want to brew a Bock. Because tis the season to lager with the reduced temperature. I was looking for some advice from everyone out there. I want to brew a Bock that has the nice spiciness from Rye and malt and top it off with ...drum roll please... Peppercorns. I think Sam from Dogfish Head has this in one of his books, but I'm going all grain not extract. So can I get some beta on this recipe? Please? Anybody?

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP830 - German Lager Yeast
Batch Size (Gallons): 10
Original Gravity: 1.076
Final Gravity: 1.019
IBU: 25
Boiling Time (Minutes): 120
Color: 20
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2 - 3 weeks at 55f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2 weeks at 50f

10 lbs. Pilsener Malt
15 Lbs. Munich Malt
5 lbs. Rye Malt
1 lb. Carafa I

2.75 oz. Hallertau Hersbrucker Whole Leaf Hops (60 min)
1.50 oz. Hallertau Hersbrucker Whole Leaf Hops (15 min)
0.75 oz. Spalt Whole Leaf Hops (2 min)

1 Tsp. Irish Moss Fining (15 Min)
5 Tsp. Crushed Black and Green Peppercorns (Flameout)

WLP830 German Lager Yeast

Mash Schedule
-------------
Grain Lbs: 31
Water Gal: 15

Protein Rest Temp : 130 Time: 30 min
Saccharification Rest Temp : 158 Time: 60 min
Mash-out Rest Temp : 165 Time: 15 min
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 10 min
Boil Time: 120 min
Cool to 55F and Pitch Yeast

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

I personally think its a good idea. Between the peppercorns and the rye you should get a very nice spice note.

How are you going to add the corns? Bag them or just free float them? I think I would put them in a hop bag to keep them out of my valve/drain.

Good choice of hops too.

I was thinking I might add them, the peppercorns, to this tea ball I have and drop the whole thing in at flame out.

Wow, that is a big grainbill! Based on your OG, you're slightly out of style for a Bock according to the BJCP guidelines, but I think it'll be a good beer. Then again, rye isn't part of a Bock grainbill to begin with, so it's a non-traditional beer all around!

Don't forget the rice hulls- that rye can be a gluey mess when mashed.

Back