Does the size of the krausen layer mean anything?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velorider

Reaction score
Hi, I've brewed about 25 batches now - all extract - and am usually really pleased with the results. Every batch I've brewed until this one has needed a blow off hose. I'm brewing a kit that I brewed before and it blew off but this one just has a layer of krausen about 1 1/2 inches thick. The airlock is really active and the yeast were flying like crazy after 12 hours. Now it's 50 hours and it's starting to slow so I think the krausen layer is not goint to grow anymore. Is there anything to read into a thin layer of krausen like this? One thing, it does seem to be alot more dense than they usually are. Thanks

Are you trying to compensate for something with your big krausen? Just kidding!

Honestly, I just brewed my third extract batch on Monday and my krausen hasn't needed a blowoff like the first two. Maybe it's because I actually filtered the hops out of the third and not the first two. Are there any variables from your first 24 batches and this one?

She will always tell you that it doesn;t matter what size your Krausen is and that it's the biggest Krausen she's ever seen. But piss her off just once and her girlfriends will prove otherwise.

Easy now boys! Maybe my krausen size is none of your business after all. Seriously, I don't know of any differences between this and any of my other batches and even though the krausen layer was thin, it seemed to ferment furiously for the first 36 hours or so once it got started.

Sometimes there is a temperature difference in the fermentations. I ferment around 62-64 degrees for almost all my ales, and sometimes don't get much of a krausen at all.

I tell ya, size does NOT matter. Each krausen is different, and each are special in their own way. What really matters is how the beer performs. :D

Easy now boys! Maybe my krausen size is none of your business after all. Seriously, I don't know of any differences between this and any of my other batches and even though the krausen layer was thin, it seemed to ferment furiously for the first 36 hours or so once it got started.

What have your temps been like? What yeast have you been using? They all react differently.

Sometimes there is a temperature difference in the fermentations. I ferment around 62-64 degrees for almost all my ales, and sometimes don't get much of a krausen at all.

I/quote]

I don't get much krausen if you don't consider 2 to 4 inches much, and I ferment at 62f to 64f. It is rare that I need a blowoff tube, but use one anyway.
I dunno if it is due to the fact that I keep as much trub and break material out of my fermenter as possible or it is the yeast selection and fermentation temps.

I'm fermenting at 68 degrees and according to my notes from my previous batch of this recipe, I've duplicated everything pretty much exactly thus far.

Back