Late Extract Additon - Higher than expected SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG

Reaction score
I brewed a batch from a recipe for an IPA I found in a book at my local LHBS that specified that it should be around 1.057 SG.

I added 2# of extract to ~3 gal of water before boil and the last 6# 15 min before boil finished (45 min).

After filling the primary to 5 gallons and the temp was around 70F I was getting a reading of ~1.068 which is much higher than the expected 1.057.

This was on a Sat afternoon, I saw activity on Monday morning and the temp was around 68F. By Monday evening (last night) there was no more activity and the temp is 72F.

I don't plan on opening the lid to dry hop until about 2 weeks but should I be moving to a secondary if the gravity is still high in 2 weeks? Did the late addition of the extract cause a higher than normal gravity? Is the liquid yeast capable of fermenting this enough?

Thanks -

How long has it been in the primary? And what yeast strain are you using? If I am reading this right its only been in the primary for 3 days? If thats true I would just walk away from it and let it do its thing. Secondly 1.068 isn't that high of gravity. I am sure whatever yeast your using, even without a starter will do its thing.

If the primary fermentation is not complete, don't transfer to secondary. Take a gravity reading every other day for 3 days, if no changed happened over that 5 day period I would then transfer to be safe.

I brewed a batch from a recipe for an IPA I found in a book at my local LHBS that specified that it should be around 1.057 SG.

I added 2# of extract to ~3 gal of water before boil and the last 6# 15 min before boil finished (45 min).

After filling the primary to 5 gallons and the temp was around 70F I was getting a reading of ~1.068 which is much higher than the expected 1.057.

Thanks -

Well, according to the online gravity calculator over at tastybrew.com (http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/gravity.html) your gravity is pretty close to being right on if you used dry malt extract. If you used liquid, you would have come closer to the number you would have expected. You have to remember there's a difference in the two. Look at the book again, and I am sure they'll tell you they're using liquid malt extract, and I'm betting you used dry.

To answer the late extract addition question: No. It didn't cause a higher gravity. That's not how extract works.

Also, don't worry about not seeing more activity. Sometimes fermentations just work fast and you'll be mostly done in a couple of days. Give it the full time though to clean itself up. It'll be fine.

No, it was your 8 lbs of malt in not enough water that resulted in a higher gravity. ;)

If you really wanted to achieve the gravity recommended you should have added more top off water.

I find that 1/2 gal of water takes it down approximately .002 points.

I usually get about 1.052 for 6 lbs of DME in 5.25 gals of water...since yours was 8 lbs in only 5 gals you can see the difference.;) :D

I actually did use LME like the book called and I topped of to 5 gal like it called for but was wondering if the high SG was because of late extract addition (which I know now it isn't) or if my yeast can handle that. The yeast is California Ale White Labs WLP001. The instructions said to take it out 3-6 hrs before pitching but I missed that (first time to use liquid yeast) and took it out when I started, about 1h45m before pitching.

Unfortunately, it's a book they keep around at the shop and it's not mine and I can't even remember the name of it. I basically wrote down the hop schedule and the amounts of ingredients were confirmed when I bought it :). The book may be incorrectly reporting the SG, I do hope that the FG will give me a high ABV%.

In about a week I think I'll move this to a secondary and dry hop there and let it sit there for another 2 weeks. Thanks for the feedback!

:mug:

In about a week I think I'll move this to a secondary and dry hop there and let it sit there for another 2 weeks. Thanks for the feedback!

:mug:

Just make sure it is done fermenting before you put it into secondary! Let the numbers on your hydrometer tell you when it is ready. :)

If I was a wagering man, I'd bet that your top-off water wasn't stirred in thoroughly when you took your OG reading. The wort and water have vastly different specific gravity, so they tend to stratify into different levels...you've really got to stir them aggressively. As a bonus, this will help aerate your wort as well.

That yeast is aggressive and a fast starter, it will have no problem dealing with your wort. (Try dry US-05 sometime...it's the same strain, and a lot cheaper and easier.) Next time you use liquid yeast, make a starter a few days in advance. That way you know your yeast is viable, plus you give it a head start by building up a huge population before pitching.

As carnevoodoo says, don't be in a rush to rack to secondary. When in doubt, waiting longer is almost always the right move in homebrewing!

This is just a little constructive criticism. Fear not, you haven't made any fatal mistakes, and your beer WILL come out fine. :mug:

If I was a wagering man, I'd bet that your top-off water wasn't stirred in thoroughly when you took your OG reading. The wort and water have vastly different specific gravity, so they tend to stratify into different levels...you've really got to stir them aggressively. As a bonus, this will help aerate your wort as well.

:rockin:

I think you're right, while I do pour the top off water from 1 gallon jugs and let splash to aerate it I'm not sure I thoroughly stirred it. Thanks!

In the future, sanitze a big spoon (or better yet a large wire wisk). After adding your top-off, stir/whip the crap out of it. i use a large wisk and 2min will leave an inch and a half of foam on the top when i am done. It gives two benifits....thorough mixing and a good aeration!

-Todd

My FG was 1.018. I bottled on Sat and am looking forward to it in 14 days (7 days early due to a commitment to bring a few). :mug:

My FG was 1.018. I bottled on Sat and am looking forward to it in 14 days (7 days early due to a commitment to bring a few). :mug:

It will most likely still be flat and may taste like crap....You sure you want to share green beer with people who won't understand about bottle conditioning and carbing and think A) You Suck as a brewer and/or B) All Homebrew tastes like Sh#@ and therefore the budweiser commercials ARE right? Beer has it's own schedule, the 3 weeks @ 70 notion isn't a rule of thumb because we made it up...

Read this and watch the video...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

I'd hate to bring this up, but someone should...Why did you bottle? :confused:

If your OG was 68 I can see bottling at 17 or 18, but we all assumed your OG was wrong because the wort and water weren't blended well.

Since your projected OG was supposed to be 57 your projected FG should have been 14.

If that's is the case then you bottled too soon.

Can someone with software input his recipe to verify, please? :confused:

I did leave it in primary for 3 weeks. I don't think I rushed it and the reading was steady.

I guess I should not bring it @ only 2 weeks in the bottle though most there are familiar with homebrew. :mug:

Back