I think I want to go electric.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossi46

Reaction score
Thinking about going all electric. I have a rims tube, so I have one pid, Auber syl-4352, but only a 25A ssr. I want to switch to a eHerms though. Its a pain in the ass to clean the rims and I scortched a batch of Pliny this last weekend and my element is nasty. So I'm thinking it's time to over haul my rig. This is what I have now.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-single-tier-lpg-erims-build-319391/
I would still like to run three pumps and I sometimes do back to back batches.
I have a 50A service already in my garage and a 35 ft 6/4 extension cord.
Can some one lead me in the right direction without breaking the bank. I don't need full automation either.
Thanks.

Hmmm my system I did on the cheap. One PID one SSR, just had 2 plugs, one for the HLT and one for the kettle (cooler MLT). Works quite well, even if it isn't pretty. I'd think about running to a spa panel with that 50 amp cord, then run the other stuff off of that.

I don't think I need a spa panel, I have a 50a gfci breaker in my panel.

I gotta say, your current set up looks pretty good. I know nothing about gas or RIMS so I can't offer any useful advice, but I would look to maybe a tweak here or there rather than throwing the whole thing out the window.

Intended as a constructive comment! Sorry if it is not very specific.

Yeah, I don't want to junk the whole thing. I want to convert from rims to herms and from propane to all electric. I would still use the stand, pumps, pid, chiller and kettles.

Thanks, I really do love it but propane is expensive, and I use about 3/4 of a tank for every 11 gallon batch.
About a gas fired herms, I would have to use some sort of gas solenoid to control it.
Maybe the first baby step I should take is just a eHerms HLT. I could use my existing pid, I would just need a herms coil and a heating element.
Would that be easy enough to do ?

rossi46 said:
Thanks, I really do love it but propane is expensive, and I use about 3/4 of a tank for every 11 gallon batch.
About a gas fired herms, I would have to use some sort of gas solenoid to control it.
Maybe the first baby step I should take is just a eHerms HLT. I could use my existing pid, I would just need a herms coil and a heating element.
Would that be easy enough to do ?

What you are proposing is simple enough to do. I switched from propane to electric for the same reason. Propane is expensive and I really did not like the amount of heat loss associated with using it. I use a RIMS and may convert to HERMS at some time in the future.

Your current rig looks nice, but if you have all of the parts and a stockpile of brew I would suggest doing all of the work at once and not build a little bit and then rework your panel later. It's possible to component test as you build and later test each system. That should give you confidence as you go.

Do you have a sketch of how you'd like the final version to be? I don't think it would be that much different.

I ordered a ebrew supply 50a PID kit, an auber box, 2 pid, and a timer. I'll see if I can manage to put it together now.

I'm not sure what advice you are looking for... Drill holes in your HLT and BK, install 5500w 220v elements, put a HERMS coil in your HLT, and run everything to a panel with 40a SSRs. It sounds like you've got a lot of the basics already set up with the pumps and the RIMS, just need to make the jump to electric - shouldn't be too dificult. Have you checked out www.theelectricbrewery.com - it's a great first step for going HERMS.

-Kevin

What I was looking for was suggestions on what type of controls and wiring, but I got ebrew supply kit instead.

Thinking of going the ebrew route myself, looks like I am going to have scale down the CP...hit a few bumps in the road

Back