looking for opinions on these 2 Equipment kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id go for the 2nd kit. I like that it also comes with a 5 gallon glass carboy.

It is difficult to know what is in the Williams kit. They don't have a list like the Adventure In HomeBrewing one.

Another one to look at is The Northern Brewer Deluxe kit. You will have to add the pot and a wort chiller but it is the one I started with.

I, personally, would opt for Better Bottles or buckets. No glass carboys for me. They are too heavy and way to dangerous. Read the threads about injuries caused by broken carboys.

10 gallon pot with spigot is a real plus.

I have 2 carboys that I never use. Buckets work for for me and the fermenter that comes with #1 sounds like another plus.

bosco

thx very much for your input...

Question: are there benefits using a buckets vs. plastic carboy (i.e. PET or Better Bottles) as primary fermentation vessel?

Buckets are easier to wash (and are cheaper), but you don't get to see the fermentation very well.

thx very much for your input...

Question: are there benefits using a buckets vs. plastic carboy (i.e. PET or Better Bottles) as primary fermentation vessel?

i use a bucket with a spigot, and every time i xfer to keg i unscrew and thoroughly clean the spigot along with the bucket.

i love the ease of use and i have no worries of contamination seeing as im constantly taking apart and cleaning the spigot. i'll never do a secondary (other than keg) and if i ever bottle i'll find or make a gun :) love the ease of use

Buckets are easy to use for dry hop or other additions, they stack for storage and don't cost much.

They don't let you see inside easily.
The lid can be a PITA to put on and take off. The seal may leak leading to "no fermentation" threads.

I find Better Bottles just as easy and maybe even easier to clean. I fill with Oxyclean solution to soak. Rinse well, insert a washcloth and swirl it around, remove and rinse it again, Done.

What size pot is in the Wiliams kit? But just looking at the picture it has a spicket and looks atleast 8, the wort chiller is awesome. Plus it looks like it has a better bottle carboy in the bucket. I would go with the Williams. I do not want a glass carboy and 5 gallon one is about wirthless to me.

I was able to find more info on the williams kit (gotta love google) no carboy or auto siphon, pot is 8 gallons, bottles are NOT included. I would still go with it, reviews are very positive.

thx you very much...

these are very useful input...

the information out there can be a bit overwhelming...

Auto-siphons are awesome. If you go with that Williams kit, I'd make sure you invest in an auto-siphon on top of the kit!

Auto-siphons are awesome. If you go with that Williams kit, I'd make sure you invest in an auto-siphon on top of the kit!

You don't need a siphon with the Williams kit. The fermenter has a spigot.

Most people would use the siphon to transfer from their primary or secondary to the bottling bucket with the spigot.

TJinWV said:
You don't need a siphon with the Williams kit. The fermenter has a spigot.

I received the Williams basic equipment kit as a gift. It has everything you need (besides kettle and chiller) and I like the valve on the fermentor. There IPA ingredients kit turned out well and included liquid yeast. The advanced kit with kettle and chiller looks like a pretty good deal.

I use a glass carboy or three but if I had to choose from the two kits above I would go for #1. It seems better quality equipment (like for example, the pot has a brand name).

I am sorry. How this groupon deal works.

is this groupon deal means that i can buy any item for $64, as long it has a value equal or less than 137.92?

this

$64 for a First-Time Brewer's Package (Up to $137.92 Value)

Brewing essentials equipment kit (a $64.99 value)
Steel bottle opener (a $14.99 value)
Choice of irish red ale, autumn amber ale, or irish stout ingredient kit (up to a $27.99 value)
Instructional DVD (a $4.95 value)
$25 gift certificate for a second batch

A $12 shipping fee is not included in the price of this Groupon.
its from midwest brewing supply

I know I'm new here, but #2 is local to me and I know their equipment is top notch. Also, online sales are very important to them and have seen them on the phone with customers for up a to half an hour doing "tech" support. I think either is a good choice, but I vote for #2.

Back