Nanobrewery in an existing restaurant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucky666

Reaction score
We're thinking of adding a 1bbl system in our restaurant, making and serving our own beer and seeing how our customers like it. But I'm curious why I don't know of anyone else doing that.

Do you know of a restaurant that brews it's own beer and sells it at it's restaurant? Obviously brewpubs do that, but I'm thinking of on a very small scale, using a 1bbl system... essentially a SABCO machine.

Are there any known restrictions that would keep someone from brewing professionally - even on the nano scale - on a SABCO Brew-Magic or similar machine? Our thought is that we don't need to produce more than a keg or two a day so we'd rather keep our initial investment down and if we see a strong reaction from our customers we can upgrade to a 3.5bbl system at that point.

Obviously, county ordinances will vary greatly, but I'm curious about any and all right now. Throwing a big net out there.

Thanks for any insight in advance!!

Might as well make yourself a brutus or a 2050 type. But then with all the hassle of getting approval and licensing you might as well go with a 3bbl. Its not like you can just set it up and sell beer because you have a class 6.

I am trying to add a class 1 to a class 6 currently for this purpose and there are quite a few restrictions with the TTB.

we already have an incidental liquor license.

what are some of the restrictions you are running up against? are you finding the feds to be more of a hassle than your local laws?

No......time mostly. You have to have a brewery in place before you can apply for your license, and turn around time is gong to be 4-6 months. Its forms and redtape mostly. Luckily the wife is all over that aspect, she gets me approved, I brew

incidental? chicago must be different than AZ

class 6 is for everything from a distributor, class 3 is production (brewery), class 1 for us is the addendum to a class 6 for production and buying from a distributor. At least thats what I remember her saying, I'll ask her again jsut to be sure

You may want to contact Pizza Orgasmica in San Francisco. I would consider them a restaurant that happens to serve its own beer. I don't know how much they brew, but when I went there last, I was the only person in the entire place that ordered one of their beers. Everyone else was drinking "commercial".

Latest posts

Back