Adding fresh yeast in every bottle for carbonation ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naeco

Reaction score
3 questions today : I just racked my cider to secondary and will let it sit in the carboys for as long as it takes until it is Cristal clear and was wondering if it's necessary to add fresh yeast to each bottle if it has to sit for a long time until it clears off.

1 - Could the long period of waiting time leave me with insufficient active yeast to properly carbonate each bottle ?

2 - After how much time should I consider adding fresh yeast in the bottles and how much would be needed ?

3 - I'm reading different things from different web sites about the quantities of sugar to add for carbonation per 5 gallons and wanted to confirm that 3/4 cup of dextrose is the way to go right ?

Thanks,

naeco

That amount of sugar sounds fine to me. There are sites around that can calculate and will give you a measure of how much sugar you need per gallon depending on your FG and how many volumes of CO2 you want, just google. For the waiting thing, I've never really waited that long to make a sparkling cider, so maybe bottle one bottle and add some sugar to it (calculate how much you would need for just one bottle), and see if it carbonates? That way you don't waste a whole lot of time/effort/money.

http://byo.com/resources/carbonation has a general guideline for carbonation and sugar amounts.
Not sure about creating sparkling/carbonated aged drinks, but would like to know as well if the yeast would still be active, vs new yeast (though there'd probably be an acclimation method like hightest's mead restart). Another consideration is using a fining agent to help quickly clear like bentonite or sparkolloid powder.

I just made a 3 gallon batch of cider and i add some pectic enzyme to it about 2 1/2 tbs to be exact. And it took less than a month to clear. so you can try that next time it worked for me.

I did use pectin enzyme before fermentation and the cider went through fermentation with bentonite in it. My guess is that the cider was not Cristal clear after initial fermentation because of suspended yeast ?

should I have skipped secondary and go straight to bottling and if so, I could bottle now as it's only been a couple days in secondary ?

You could definitely bottle and prime now without having to add yeast, I bottle my ciders cloudy and they settle out within the week.

I was under the impression that you need to let it age to make it taste better but I guess I could let it age for several months in the bottle right ?

I guess I don't have to pasteurize as I decided to let it ferment to complete dryness and I will back sweeten with non-ferentable sugar. So the chance of getting bottle bombs are close to none as I am also using champagne bottle and they car withstand lots of pressure.

I just racked a couple days ago and I'm really wondering if I should just re-rack in my bucket, adjust taste, add fementable sugar for carbonation and immediately bottle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back