IBUs Vs. OG.... fight!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
Ok, I know this has been discussed, but what the hell, everything comes back up eventually. So do you guys & dolls use a particular ratio of these two or just go by what you think? I've tried doing brews light on the IBUs for the SWMBO but then she complains that they're too sweet (I'm thinking duh!) but that may also be because of a higher OG, anyway, what are your thoughts?

BU:GU ratio is one of the critical things I always take into account in recipe design. Even if I don't do the actual math (I usually do), I'll look at where both the OG and the IBUs fall in the style range, to make sure they're proportional to the style.

For me, I do partial mashes, partial boils with late extract additions. Since I begin my boil with just the contents of the mash and add the extract with 20 mins remaining on the boil, my hop utilization varies greatly. In my brew spreadsheet I made, I spilt each hop addition up for the amount of time it is at each SG of boil. For example, 60 mins bittering addition, I use 40 mins of the hop at the SG of the partial mash, and then for the remaining 20 mins use the SG of the partial mash and extract added. I use the following formula from Palmer's book in my spreadsheet.

Utilization = f(G) x f(T)
where:
f(G) = 1.65 x 0.000125^(Gb - 1)
f(T) = [1 - e^(-0.04 x T)] / 4.15

As cweston said the BU:GU ratio is the key reading. After my IBUs are calculated on my spreadsheet I make sure that ratio is where I want it for the brew.

If you're curious how much of a difference it makes, spliting the hop times up and just using something like the Recipator that figures all fermentables in the kettle the entire time. For lower gravity beers not too much of difference, generally 5 or less IBUs. But for the SNCA clone-ish beer (high OG and high IBUs) I just made, it made a big difference something like 12 or 14 IBUs.

Probably more info than you wanted, but there it is anyway.

Get a copy of Ray Daniel's Designing Great Beers, it discusses BU:GU in great detail. It all depends on the style, there's a range that is appropriate. Doesn't mean that you NEED to stick to that range, but be aware of it to know that you may not be brewing to style (there may be other styles she would prefer).

hopsgraph.jpg

You know another easy way to check is look at the BJCP chart online for the style and formulate your recipe around those numbers. I like that chart, Chimone, easy to read and gives a good insight just by glancing. thx

Back