Mr Beer Premium Kit - Strawbeery Blonde - Wait to add strawberries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erkem121

Reaction score
So this kit comes with 1 can of HME, a can of UME, and 2 cans of strawberries in light syrup.

I have read that adding a lot of sugar (fermentables in this case strawberries) initially will keep the yeast from breaking down the malt sugars. The way it was explained is that the yeast will eat up all the less complex sugars first and could basically tap out and be done before breaking down any malt sugars resulting in a less tasty beer.

Should I wait a day or 2 to add the strawberries or not worry about it?
Also, I know I dont want to use the yeast the kit came with should I just buy a couple of smack packs?

Well my buddy who makes some great fruit beers with his Mr Beer, just adds it at the start. Though if you can lay your hands on a 3 gallon water jug, I would rack it after two weeks to the water bottle and add the fruit in secondary.

As to the yeast...you don't need to buy two tube for a small batch like that, heck you don't even need to buy a liqid...If you think the dry that came with it is bad (though it's prolly really fresh actually, they have a huge turnover) use a neutral dry ale yeast like Safale Us 05.

Thanks Revvy, ur the man

I think ima go ahead and use the yeast it came with, i did with the last one and it appears to be going just fine

The stock yeast seemed to work fine with my first Mr. Beer batch. In the future I'm probably going to upgrade to better quality dry yeast, but might date and throw the extra Mr. Beer yeast packets in the fridge for emergencies.

Back