A Saturday Nite Brew Log!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
4:30 - Leave Local Brew Store (Hops and Vines) with the following

American Pale Ale Kit (i choose the hops and the yeast)
6 lbs. Gold Liquid Malt
1 lb. Gold Dry Malt
1 lb Munich
1 lb. 45L Crystal malt
2 oz Cascade
1 oz Centennial
1 White labs Pacific Ale
1 Star San
1 Irish Moss

5:00 Sanitize all equipment and purify water using Brita Filter

6:00 Bring water to steeping temp
6:35 Steep grains at 155F for 35min in oven
7:15 pull tea from oven, bring to boil, prepare ingredients
7:20 add extract
7:30 Full boil, add 1 oz cascade
8:00 add cascade
8:15 add Irish moss
8:30 pull off boil, add Centennial
9:15 add wort to fermenter with 3 gall of water
9:17 take SG - 1.060 at 74 F(higher than expected)
10:00 pitched yeast at 72F

Plan to ferment in Primary until 12/19, Secondary until 12/30

Beersmith Summary
ABV - 7.18
IBU - 23.9
SG - 1.054
FG - 1.017
Color - 13.7

To All at HBT, because of your advice, I believe this will be my best brew yet. I used mash technique found on HBT, pouring hot wort over grains in strainer. Probably won't help a whole lot but can't hurt.

I have seen cascade used for bittering, but never followed by centennial for aroma, centennial is more of a bittering hop... should be interesting. Congrats on the brew.

I was going to say the first thing you need to change is getting up to start brewing at 6 in the morning.

Then I noticed that you left the HBS at 4:30.

Okay I admit it I've set my alarm for 6am-7am to get up and clean equipment.

I don't get to crazy about sanitizing. i think I do a good job on that.

About the Centennial for aroma, I just wanted to try something different.

You know what! I am going home for x-mas and will probably skip the secondary.

True, I have just never seen it used with Cascade, where the Cascade was the bittering hop and the Centennial was the late addition.

Its been 3 days now. Active fermentation, but little worried about the temp. My sticky thermometer says is inbetween 71 F and 73 F. It should be fine, but I am just a worry wort! Pun intended.

Leaving in Primary until Jan 3rd shouldn't be a problem. It is in an Ale Pail, or should I moved to secondary (which I will have to buy) this weekend?

Temps sounds a bit high, but so much that I'd worry about it. That is including the heat the yeasts are making, not the ambient air temp.

As long as you are sure it's not going to get contaminated, I'd leave it in whatever vessel it's in until bottle time.

I want to brew this weekend. probably just buy another fermenter, it will come in to good use over time.

"I want to brew this weekend. probably just buy another fermenter, it will come in to good use over time."

I had that same problem. Brewed for the first time on Sunday the 14th. Can't wait so long to brew again. Sent girlfriend to brewstore today with $80 cash for another Ale Pail (Ale Pale?) and 5 gallon better bottle.

Back