Belgian Tripel Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this up back in October, and kegged it in December.

Anyways, it turned out horrible. Never was good at all, and had this taste of a cider instead of a tripel or Belgian. I used WLP400 and followed directions and ingredients perfectly. Honestly have no clue what could've gone worng.

I did a different tripel back in October that about 3 out of the 50 bottles I got had a cidery like taste, the rest were pretty damn good though :)

I brewed this up back in October, and kegged it in December.

Anyways, it turned out horrible. Never was good at all, and had this taste of a cider instead of a tripel or Belgian. I used WLP400 and followed directions and ingredients perfectly. Honestly have no clue what could've gone worng.

WLP400 does produce some tartness. Any reason for using a whit strain rather than WLP500?

Extract:
3 x 3.3lbs Pilsner Light malt extract LME
1 x 1lbs Amber DME
1 x 1.5lbs Belgian Candy
12.4 total pounds of fermentables

Hops: (IBU came out at 23 but you can range from 20 to 25)
2 oz. German Hallertau 3.8%AA 60min
1 oz. Styrian Goldings 3.4% AA 30min
1 oz. Saaz 2.8% AA 3min

Yeast:
2 x WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast

Notes:[/QUOTE]

Really want to try this(my first belgian). What amount of water did you dissolve the malts in for the boil and then top up to in the primary? Cheers.

Read through all of the pages and amazing reviews for this one. For now, I'm restricted to a electric stovetop, a 5 gallon pot, and a 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket. As a newbie, the recipe does look doable, so I was curious to know how much water would be advisable boil with?

Should I bring 3.5 to a boil, add extract/hops, and continue my boil from there, and then top off in water in the bucket? Recipe looks great and I really want to get this one right.

Thanks!

This beer keeps getting better with age. Brewed 1/24/2013 all grain, only change was 1 lb clear candi sugar, and 1 lb dark candi sugar. Had a very boozy taste as i keged too early on 3/3/2013, however it has subsided and given way to a wonderful beer. I absolutely love delirium tremens hence i named this Pink Dragon, and this brew is my new favorite.

13.0 lb Belgian Pils
1.5 lb Munich
1.0 lb Candi Sugar Dark
1.0 lb Candi Sugar Clear

2.0 oz Hallertau 60 min
1.0 oz Styrian Gold 30 min
1.0 oz Sazz 3 min

OG = 1.090
FG = 1.010

Fermented using WLP 500 with a 1.5L starter at 65F, blow off tube needed.

I might try ramping the temperature up now that I have a fermentation chamber.

Thinking about using this recipe and brewing it with condensed maple sap. I would hold out the sugar and use sap that has 15% sugar content. The OG would likely be above 1.13. Is this going to be way too big? I could cut thE sap with some water to bring down the sugar content. I am figuring about a 2 gallon starter.

Thoughts?

Sent from the kingdom of beer.

So, this is going to be my next brew regardless of the answer, but any thoughts of adding coriander seed? I have no doubt its amazing without it, but I know that a lot of tripels have coriander seed so just wondering

So, this is going to be my next brew regardless of the answer, but any thoughts of adding coriander seed? I have no doubt its amazing without it, but I know that a lot of tripels have coriander seed so just wondering

In over a decade of tasting Belgian ales that claimed to use coriander, (in BLAM mainly), I have never detected it on the palate. If you do decide to use it, the more aromatic green coriander is what was claimed to have been used, not the hot dog spice, (white coriander seeds).

Ive been wanting to brew up this recipe for quite a while now. Finally had a chance to pick up the ingredients this weekend...pretty amped for this one. Brewed the extract version as follows.

Extract/Grains
8 oz Cara Pils steeped @ 155F for 30 mins

3lbs light LME @ 60 mins
7lbs light LME @ 10 mins
1lb amber DME @ 10 mins
1.5lbs Belgian Candy Sugar @ 10 mins

Hops
1.8 oz German Hallertau 3.6AA 60 mins
.5 oz Styrian Goldings 3.2AA 30 mins
.8 oz Saaz 2.9AA @ 3 mins

Pitched 1L starter of Wyeast 1214

OG = 1.084 Estimated ABV=11%

Gonna be tough to wait this one out

I bottled a extract batch of this about 2 months ago, and last night I tried a bottle. So far, so good. A little on the sweet side, but overall I'm really happy with it. I'm going to give it another month or so to age, I'm sure it will only get better.

***Update*** fermentation took off roughly 12 hours after pitch. A 1L starter and a really good aerate seems to have done the trick. Temp held steady for 36ish hours at 70F and has since dropped to about 68 as fermentation has started slowing down, although its still bubbling at least once per second. Anyone have fermentation schedule they like for this brew? I usually go 2 weeks in primary, rack to secondary for additional week, prime and bottle then age accordingly. Anyone see a problem with this? thanks again for the recipe, its smelling amazing, cant wait to try this one!!!

I put this on 2 days ago, but with a few alterations:

8.5 lbs Pilsen Light DME
1.0 lb Amber DME
1.5 lbs Dark Belgian Candi Sugar
1.7 oz US Hallertau @ 60 min
0.2 oz US Hallertau @ 30 min
0.7 oz US Hallertau @ 1 min
WLP545
OG: 1.090

Now to the question... I seem to be getting a mild "rhino fart" smell from the airlock. I haven't had that happen to any of my beers yet. Has anybody else experienced this smell with this brew? Just curious.

Brewed this weekend. Used a starter for the first time and it was the most violent and fast fermentation I've ever experienced. Can't wait to try it

Sulfur. It's pretty normal during fermentation on some of these types of beers.
It should condition out post fermentation.

Cool. I'm familiar with it in regards to wine and cider, but had not had that happen with a beer yet. Just wanted to make sure it was an acceptable smell :)

Thanks!

I am converting this recipe to my 10 l (2.64 gallon) glass fermenter.

The LME converts to 4.356 lbs, in this way a lot of LME will be left over (LME is sold in 3.3 lbs cans). I am willing to spend the money for a good beer but I do not like to spill product.

Can I use some more DME and less LME? Can somebody have a look at this? How to optimize the ingredients to 2.64 gallon?

Copied from another post:

A handy way to think of grain/DME/LME is this: 1 lb grain = .75 lb LME = .6 lb DME

So: 4.356 - 3.3 = 1.056 lb LME to convert to DME
1.056 / .75 = x / .6
x = .8448 lb DME

The handy thing about DME is that you can put it in an airtight container and keep it forever. And also use it for yeast starters.
Alternately, my LHBS is now selling bulk LME.
-bill

Copied from another post:

A handy way to think of grain/DME/LME is this: 1 lb grain = .75 lb LME = .6 lb DME

So: 4.356 - 3.3 = 1.056 lb LME to convert to DME
1.056 / .75 = x / .6
x = .8448 lb DME

The handy thing about DME is that you can put it in an airtight container and keep it forever. And also use it for yeast starters.
Alternately, my LHBS is now selling bulk LME.
-bill

Noted this formula for the future. Thank a lot for your advice.

Brewing the all-grain version of this this coming weekend. Picked up the ingredients this afternoon and already have the yeast starter going. Did have to make a few substitutions based on what was available at the LHBS:

13 lb. German Pilsner
1 lb. 10 oz. Belgian Munich
1 lb. 10 oz. Homemade Candi Sugar
1.8 oz. Liberty 60 min.
0.4 oz. Fuggles 30 min.
0.8 oz. Saaz 3 min.
2 x WLP530

I did the all grain version and followed it pretty close using homemade candi sugar. My OG came in at 1.085 and I used a yeast starter stepped up twice. After 2 weeks in the primary with a steady but not explosive fermentation it seemed to have stopped. I transferred to the secondary and found my sg was still at 1.040. I washed the yeast in the primary and began another starter to try and get it going again. Before I had a chance to add it, the thing has taken off again steadily bubbling away. My recommendation to others is to aerate well and be patient with this one. My next purchase is going to be a bubble stone and oxygen. Really looking forward to this, especially since having it on tap at a restaurant the other night.

This yeast is angry! Woke up this morning to a puddle of the little guys all around my starter (1.5 L in a 2 L flask). I'm thinking I'll need a bigger blowoff than my 3/8" tubing...

Checked on it before bed. Already bubbling away! Pitched around 6 EST. Added a 1 inch blowoff so I don't wake up to any surprises tomorrow...

Planning on brewing 3 gallons of this using the AG version with boil in a bag method. Also planning on using dried yeast Safbrew T-58 instead of the liquid yeast suggested.

Any tips, advice, etc in advance that anyone could share?

Cheers

Planning on brewing 3 gallons of this using the AG version with boil in a bag method. Also planning on using dried yeast Safbrew T-58 instead of the liquid yeast suggested.

Any tips, advice, etc in advance that anyone could share?

Cheers

IMHO, T-58 is not a favorite for this style. Some claim it as a descendant of the Chimay strain but I have reasonable doubts. We've never seen superior results from T-58.

I have never used T-58 but in.my opinion Belgian brews get way too much of their depth complexity from the yeast and from what I've ready T-58 is pretty neutral.

Hmm, ok then, cheers guys. Might stick with it and see how things go. There could be worse things than a not too flavourful trippel, haha. Only making a smaller batch so may try it again with the proper yeast if it's not satisfying enough !

EDIT: Just to be clear I'm subbing for the T-58 because the home brew store I was ordering from was out of the liquid yeast & it's considerably cheaper (On a student budget here, haha), not because I think it'll give better results

Hi all,
I'm planning on brewing this this week, and have a few questions that would really appreciate some advice on.

1). Based on an OG of 1.085 , the yeast pitching calculator I use recommends 300 billion yeast cells. The original recipe calls for 200 billion cells (2 vials). Is that because under pitching results in the appropriate esters? Or should I aim for making a starter that has 300 billion cells?

2) the all-grain recipe around page 10 recommends a multi step mash schedule. Is that correct or do people use a single infusion?

3) I was planning on fermenting starting at 65° and slowly raising it up to 72 over the course of the first five days, can anybody give any better recommendations for temp control?

Thanks, I really appreciate any help with any of these questions!

Hi all,
I'm planning on brewing this this week, and have a few questions that would really appreciate some advice on.

1). Based on an OG of 1.085 , the yeast pitching calculator I use recommends 300 billion yeast cells. The original recipe calls for 200 billion cells (2 vials). Is that because under pitching results in the appropriate esters? Or should I aim for making a starter that has 300 billion cells?

2) the all-grain recipe around page 10 recommends a multi step mash schedule. Is that correct or do people use a single infusion?

3) I was planning on fermenting starting at 65° and slowly raising it up to 72 over the course of the first five days, can anybody give any better recommendations for temp control?

Thanks, I really appreciate any help with any of these questions!

Hey,
1- use a starter of an appropriate size, the op suggested 2 vials was enough, but with the additional yeast esters you can can some off flavours, and stressing the yeast, can result in non-finished fermentation.
2-single infusion is fine, unless you specifically plan to to a multi step
3-shouldn't be a problem, just make sure its within the temp range of the yeast. :)

A little picky possibly ....but has anyone considered updating the thread title? I believe the Belgian ale category is 'Tripel' rather than 'Trippel'.

Brewed this up and pitched the yeast yesterday... solid krausen and bubbling in the blow off jug already. I used a 2 liter starter, which should be enough yeast. 66 degrees and the yeast seems awfully happy!
I did have a little bit of a low gravity, still dialing in my all-grain process. Ended up with about 5.25 gals in the fermenter at 1.070, probably lost at least a gallon or more due to trub.
Had two questionable moments on the brew day.
1... the hallertau at my lhbs was super low on A.A.s, so I subbed with Columbus and adjusted the amount and am hoping that since its a bittering hop I won't get any off flavors.
2... I made some invert sugar during the last half hour of the boil, and poured it in. But it was way hotter than the boiling water, so I'm hoping it didn't somehow scorch the wort.
Otherwise, all went well, can't wait to bottle this one and hope to have it smooth out by Christmas to share with the fam.

I wanted to share my experience with this recipe. I used:

8.5 lb Pilsen Light DME
1.0 lb Amber DME
1.5 lb Dark Belgian Candi

1.7 oz US Hallertau @ 60 minutes
0.2 oz US Hallertau @ 30 minutes
0.7 oz US Hallertau @ 1 minute

WLP545

Started w/ 4 gallons of water at beginning of boil. 1/2 gallon evaporated over course of boil. I added 1.5 gallons of RO water to get to 5 gallons.

OG: 1.090 on 8/3/2014

Moved to secondary after 2 weeks leaving behind yeast cake.

FG: 1.004 on 10/10/2014.

Bottled this same day (10/10/2014) with 8 oz priming sugar in 5 gallons. I'm not 100% on "volumes of CO2" and how to calculate, etc etc. I just know that I "ruined" one beer earlier this year that is WAAAYYY too carbonated. And this is how much priming sugar I used. I figured it would be ideal for the tripel.

I know it's early, but I'm going to crack a bottle tonight, right now, just to see where it's at. This was REALLY good on bottling day aside from missing some carbonation. It had a prominent banana aroma, with a hint of plum and some spice. It expressed a lightly spiced maltiness on the pallet.

Visually this came out REALLY good, with a very nice dark golden/light amber color. Extremely clear.

JUST CRACKED THE BOTTLE AFTER TYPING THIS UP: As I expected - after 7 days it barely had any carbonation lol. So it's nowhere near ready from a carbonation standpoint - but from every other aspect this stuff is ready to drink RIGHT NOW. :)

Video of premature pour: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9s5qiag74iwb5p/20141017_232741.mp4?dl=0

20141017_232638.jpg

20141017_232648.jpg

Last edited:
Back