Cascadian Darkness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWAleDad

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14-21 @ 65
Tasting Notes
Nutty, Chocolate, with a good hop balance and strong aroma
10 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 84.0 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.0 %
8.0 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.0 %
8.0 oz Crisp Pale Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.0 %
1.00 oz Nugget [14.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 45.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.70 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 14.0 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 9.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 6.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 11 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperatur Step Time
Mash In Add 16.62 qt of water at 163.0 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.70gal, 3.36gal) of 168.0 F water

Just pulled a sample out to for grav check and it tasted amazing! Really looking forward to this one.

i'm drinking one at the moment and this is one of my new favorites! I would not change a thing. This is a favorite in my brew club my LHBS. I will post a pic this weekend.

I brewed this one on 5/20/12; OG: 1.066 FG; 1.010 bottled on 6/7/12. Only difference I did was using Gambrinus pale malt & I used some Centennial hops in the boil, since my LHBS ran out of Amarillo (I did have some which I used in the 0 minute addition). Love this style!

Great looking recipe. Might have to try it soon as I switch from extract to AG. Im currently enjoying a session style extract CDA. I love this style. Really great beer. Please include some tasting notes wheb youre drinking it.

Once I find the extract recipe, I'll post that. Thought it was on my phone, guess not!

There it is

image-2791722346.jpg

image-62564589.jpg

Just brewed this up last night. It's a lot darker than I had anticipated. I'll follow up in a few weeks after kegging.

No dry hop?

I think I'm going to brew this tomorrow. Depends on how much the ingredients cost at my LHBS.

Rebel_B said:
I brewed this one on 5/20/12; OG: 1.066 FG; 1.010 bottled on 6/7/12. Only difference I did was using Gambrinus pale malt & I used some Centennial hops in the boil, since my LHBS ran out of Amarillo (I did have some which I used in the 0 minute addition). Love this style!

Just popped open the first taste from this batch I bottled on 6/7.... Awesome!

image-791144444.jpg

image-1215525953.jpg

Just tasted first one from this batch bottled on 6/7/12... Awesome! This app tricked me; thought I didn't post anything, then a double post.

Been awhile... Brewed up another batch of this one today, I somehow got a bit more wort from the sparging than I expected so I added another 20 minutes to the boil, before the first hop addition. Added a bit more bittering hops, came in a bit over my expectation: OG: 1.080, calculated 94 IBU.

Brewin' this one up today. Got a pound of carafa2 in there. As well as cascade, willamette, calypso, centennial & belma hops. I think it's gonna be quite nice! I dint think one of these can ever really get too dark and hoppy...Thanx for sharing your recipe!

A pound of Crystal 60L seems excessive. Does anyone find it to be too much? I punched in this recipe with half a pound of 60L, and that comes out to be about 5% of the grainbill. I also upped the two-row to 12 lbs, and I threw in a half a pound of flaked barley because I like what it does for body and head.

KayaBrew said:
A pound of Crystal 60L seems excessive. Does anyone find it to be too much? I punched in this recipe with half a pound of 60L, and that comes out to be about 5% of the grainbill. I also upped the two-row to 12 lbs, and I threw in a half a pound of flaked barley because I like what it does for body and head.

How did your version turn out?

KayaBrew said:
It's still in the bucket (one more week to bottle). In retrospect, a pound of crystal doesn't seem too excessive as long as it's balanced out with the hops.

Are you going to dry hop it? Im thinking I might brew this one. I love CDA's, and it's one style I haven't brewed yet.

I think so. I have some Cascades and Willamettes to play with. Thanks for reminding me!

Hey there folks. I brewed this up on Feb 9 and am eagerly awaiting the results! It is bubbling away as I write this.

I brewed the extract version. The OG was 1.054 using 7.93lbs of light LME (Munton's).

I will keep you informed of the progress if you are interested. This is only my second beer that I have brewed. I am looking forward to it from reading the posts here and what I know of this style.

Thanks for posting the recipe.

Cheers,

Steve

The gravity is at 1.014 after 5 days. Some pretty vigourous yeast it seems... racking to a secondary as I type. Will let it sit there for a week or two before bottling. It smells great!

Edit: Drinking the wort I tested for gravity and man, is this good. Should be really nice cooled and carbonated! I can't wait. This one is a keeper for me so far!

Thanks for posting the recipe!

Brewed this up yesterday. Used mosaic hops in place of the amarillos. OG was 1.063. Right at 5 gallons into the fermenter. Did a 90 minute mash because my temp was about 148. Cooled it down to 68 and pitched US-05. It isn't bubbling yet, but I'm sure it will be by tonight. I'm going to dry hop with an oz of mosaic too. Looking forward to this one. I did a brewer's best black IPA kit when I first started brewing and it was fantastic. I think I'm going to do another batch of this in a few weeks and use S-04 to ferment.

Bottles this yesterday. Can't wait to try one in a few weeks. Smells and tasted great when I bottled it. Final gravity was at 1.014.

I just bottled this today. I subbed mosaic for the Amarillo because the LHBS was out. Otherwise follow the recipe. Hydrometer sample was tasty. Needs a few week to balance out. Solid BIPA recipe.

Time an update. My 10 gallon batch half bottled and half kegged turned out fan-fn-tastic. Definately on the top 3 list of best ever brews. Obviously brewing it again soon.
Flavor was a lil heavy on the roasty side I thought, but I was alone in that opinion. I've made a mad effort to share this beer with as many snobby ass CDA judges & followers and everyone seem to agree its a spot on example of the style. I will be entering this beer in an upcoming competition.
Appearance was nearly jet black, but against light more of a super deep
Mahogany. Nice fat, tan rocky head descends to the last sip.
Aroma is tropical, coffee and herbal. Deep caramel & dark chocolate.
Mouthfeel is full and smooth. Warms up nice and more of the sweetness makes an appearance.

10 gal batch

20# 2-row 1oz Magnum-FWH
1.5#Carafa II. :Centennial
2#chocolate wheat :Cascade
1.5#Special B :Belma
2# Crystal 60. :Nugget
1oz EACH Hop Mix:
(60min continual hopping)

Updating: I've had two people tell me this is the best beer I have ever brewed. They are probably right. This is a fantastic recipe. Haven't brewed a batch with S-04 yet, but I'll update when I do.

Brewed this up yesterday. Used mosaic hops in place of the amarillos. OG was 1.063. Right at 5 gallons into the fermenter. Did a 90 minute mash because my temp was about 148. Cooled it down to 68 and pitched US-05. It isn't bubbling yet, but I'm sure it will be by tonight. I'm going to dry hop with an oz of mosaic too. Looking forward to this one. I did a brewer's best black IPA kit when I first started brewing and it was fantastic. I think I'm going to do another batch of this in a few weeks and use S-04 to ferment.

Updating: I've had two people tell me this is the best beer I have ever brewed. They are probably right. This is a fantastic recipe. Haven't brewed a batch with S-04 yet, but I'll update when I do.

I am considering doing a similar recipe using mosaic hops. How did you like the results?

Latest posts

Back