To rack or not to rack.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanPC

Reaction score
I have an Irish stout that's been in the primary for 9 days...should I rack, or wait an extra week?

I'm assuming you are talking of racking to secondary. My vote is to not use a secondary, let it sit another week to ten days, then check a gravity.
Pez.

I have an Irish stout that's been in the primary for 9 days...should I rack, or wait an extra week?

Another week wouldn't hurt, most of us do between 2-4 weeks. That being said if you do want to rack it or straight up bottle it make sure it's at a stable finished gravity. Test it now then in a day or 2.

Yeah I've been told 1-2 weeks primary. 2 weeks secondary 3 for bottling. Are there any advantages of of just doing a 2-3 week primary?

Yeah I've been told 1-2 weeks primary. 2 weeks secondary 3 for bottling. Are there any advantages of of just doing a 2-3 week primary?

Yes there is, and a quick search can bring enough reading on the subject to make you numb. Pez.

If you leave it for 2-3 weeks in the primary, you wont have to deal with sanitizing and transferring it....set it and forget about it for a few weeks!!!

Back