bakers yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebirch

Reaction score
so i just made 3 small batches of root beer...one with sugar to ferment/sweeten with, one of with clover honey(not my favorite, but all we had at the time) and grade b maple syrup(stronger maple flavor than normal grade a medium amber) the honey and maple batches i made with bakers yeast, as i ran out of champagne yeast with the sugar batch. the sugar batch hasnt yet fermented, not even close. the honey and maple ones almost exploded in only 24 hours. im assuming that it is because theyre in smaller bottles though. but they taste a little off. is it because of the bakers yeast? they taste nearly identical.

No probably the sugar content was too high in those batches for priming... but my experience is with beer making. Is it normal to add yeast to root beer in order to bottle condition in home soda making?

yeast is used to carbonate the soda, and the sugar both reacts with the yeast and sweetens...not 100% sure if that answers your question, i hope it does.

No it answers it... just never knew that is how it worked... interesting. Maybe the baker's yeast is a strain that ferments quicker than brewer's yeast, you wouldn't want bread to take 2 weeks to rise. So does it give the soda a small ABV?

that makes sense. yes it does...from what ive read, generally around or below .5%. so not much at all

Back