How long do bottles last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwb124

Reaction score
I snagged a case of Grolsch bottles off Craigslist this weekend and was washing them up to be used...and one had a label on it from a homebrew from 1992, so the bottle is either 15 years old or a little older.

Can these types of bottles be used indefinately? Do they weaken and eventually explode under pressure?

The rubbers go bad and the ceramic tops get chipped, but a glass bottle will outlast Joan Rivers.

david_42 said:
The rubbers go bad and the ceramic tops get chipped, but a glass bottle will outlast Joan Rivers.

You just gave me a scary-bad visual for my bottled brews :(

the metal tops can stretch out a little to over time... they have both replacement gaskets and replacement caps. If you are going to use grolsch or fischer flip tops I strongly suggest buying a 100 pack of gaskets. Change out all gaskets when you get the bottles, and then replace every ~4 uses. The second reason for changing the gaskets (other than the obvious unknown wear), is the unknown gunk that very well may be living in there from X years of use. Get the gaskets off, clean, replace gaskets and you are ready to rock.

Back