Can I substitute Crystal 40 for Crystal 10?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmonacel

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for crystal 10, but I only have 40 on hand. I'm not brewing today or anything, but I wanted to figure out whether there was some sort of rule of thumb with subbing out crystals. I realize that 40 is going to lend more color and caramel sweetness, however if I added less, could I achieve the same effect of 10 or are they truly different grains?

They are different in that 40L is kilned longer so it therefore imparts a different flavor and probably has less sweetness. You can adjust the color using less of the 40L but the flavor will change some. What is the beer?

The flavors are different. Not just more- or less intense, but different. 40 has a sort of caramel flavor. Also, crystal malts contribute body, so trying to adjust for the color difference by using 1/4 of the amount called for in the recipe will affect the mouthfeel.

That said, you'll probably wind up with a tasty beer!

I went to the LHBS yesterday and needed a half pound of 10L - they didn't have any. They recommended I sub with half a pound of Carahells, its listed as 8L to 11L. Should do the trick.

Back