#1 Beer City in America...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The president of my homebrew club had a good retort to the SD over PDX situation, not relying on math:

To his point, I can walk to 5 mcmenamin's, a Lompoc, Rogue, Deschutes, Bridgeport, Lucky Lab, Bailey's Taproom, and Tugboat. There are a bunch more breweries/beer bars within biking/transit distance. I think it is a key attribute of a "beer town" that you don't have to drive between breweries!

I figured SD would be first on this list, due to the "BA" effect. If you define "beer city" to mean that beer is an important part of its culture, portland is far and away the best I've been to. I think more people there just plain like beer. Every bar that I went to in the PDX area had some type of local microbrew on tap, and it just seems way more enmeshed with the city.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some ballast point, stone, port / lost abbey, etc and I think they make some of the best beers in the world... but just because those beers are in the SD metro does not make SD a "beer city" in the slightest.

I love me some San Diego, but I can't wait until next summer when we go visit the SWMBO's family in White Salmon and take some day trips into Portland.

Not only for the beer, but the skateparks! :rockin:

Do not forget to visit Double Mountain Brewery across the bridge in Hood River. That little place is awesome!!! Way better than Full Sail even.

I can't imagine how Boulder or Ft. Collins in CO wouldn't win, if the size of the town is taken into consideration. We were out there in August and we couldn't take a walk without tripping over a brewpub or micro, unless we were hiking the Flatirons. And if size of permanent resident population is weighed against beer quality, then Breckenridge CO may be the winner. I'm talking here about generating locally-made beers. Anyone can buy something and have it shipped in.....

+1 for the CO front range.

Home of the AHA, Charlie Papazian lives about 6 miles from me, New Belgium, Left Hand, etc, GABF... the list goes on and on.

Yeah, this is what I was alluding to in my earlier post re: Ft. Collins + Denver. Ft. Collins is a dynamic college town and the front range keeps growing & growing & growing. In the not too distant future there will be one contiguous city beginning for practical purposes in Cheyenne WY and stretching all the way to Denver. While beer culture does presently not permeate life to the extent that it does in Portland, I believe that this is just a matter of time. Montanaandy.

why? We can hardly get good beer shipped in, let alone locally made.

Well I guess when I think of Chicago I'm thinking of City and the greater chicagoland area. When you add places like Prairie Rock, Two Brothers, Flossmor Station, Rock Bottom, American Brewing, and of course 3 Floyds, it helps my case alot. If you count those and the many others in the city and chicagoland area into the lineup.. Chicago should be top three.

Well I guess when I think of Chicago I'm thinking of City and the greater chicagoland area. When you add places like Prairie Rock, Two Brothers, Flossmor Station, Rock Bottom, American Brewing, and of course 3 Floyds, it helps my case alot. If you count those and the many others in the city and chicagoland area into the lineup.. Chicago should be top three.

I just don't see how. Nor do I even understand what the criteria is for this list, anyway. Chicago is an absolutely fantastic city (I spend a lot of time there, the Hammond area as well), but Chicago just does not have a big craft beer scene, especially if you look at many of these places in terms of per capita.

If you ask most people in Chicago for a good beer, chances are that they would point you to an Old Style.

I can't imagine that type of thing happening in Portland with any regularity.
Be honest San Diego. Where would the man on the street direct you?

But that is an extremely small list compared to any average beer city.... of a population of 50,000, let alone millions. And the beer is not distributed well... I can hardly get anything from ABC downstate... or 3 Floyds.

Plus as ollllllo said, your average beer drinker could live next to a microbrewery and have never heard of it let along drink something other than American lager. You go to Portland, SD, Denver, Fort Collins, San Fransisco, Seattle and ask where a good place to get a beer you will be pointed to a local micro not a bar serving macro beer for $9 a pint.

Additionally, you might want to check this out...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Craft_Breweries_Per_Capita_(US).png

By the numbers, I'll make the case for Durango, CO
Pop 15,501 in 2005

Breweries/ Brewpubs
Caver
Durango
Ska
Steamworks (2 locations)

That's a brewery for every 3100 or 3875 depending on whether you count multiple locations.

3 GABF medals in 2009 gives them a medal per 5167 people.

If I expand the search to 50 miles I can come up with 13 locations including Silverton, Cortes and Telluride.

I was happy to see Chicago on the list, not because I agree, but because of blind hometown pride (well, my hometown is technically the Detroit-area, but I love Chicago nonetheless).

I do disagree with it being on the list though. I really only know a handful of people here in the city that know anything about beer, and that is because most of them started drinking good beer after hearing me talk about it.

I know one bar does not speak for the entire city, but I see crap like this all over the place. I was at a bar this past weekend that claims to have a "great beer selection." I got there to find out their idea of a good selection was a few different BMC brews (Bud, Bud Light, Miller Lite, Peroni, American Ale), two Sam Adams, Goose Island, and Magic Hat #9. Not to say that this is a terrible beer selection, but nothing to boast about, 2 microbrews on the entire beer list. To boot, they had a special on $2 cans of Bud Light that were 2 MONTHS EXPIRED!!! I just stuck to Magic Hat and Oktoberfest and enjoyed the football game.

If this is considered a good beer bar in Chicago, then I can't put this in the top 5 for sure. Buffalo Wild Wings has a better selection.

If you ask most people in Chicago for a good beer, chances are that they would point you to an Old Style.

I can't imagine that type of thing happening in Portland with any regularity.
Be honest San Diego. Where would the man on the street direct you?

Yeah you're right, you ask anyone from the north side what they're favorite beer is and they will all reply old style. There must be something in it that brainwashes them into coming back to wrigley field year after year.

But that is an extremely small list compared to any average beer city.... of a population of 50,000, let alone millions. And the beer is not distributed well... I can hardly get anything from ABC downstate... or 3 Floyds.

Plus as ollllllo said, your average beer drinker could live next to a microbrewery and have never heard of it let along drink something other than American lager. You go to Portland, SD, Denver, Fort Collins, San Fransisco, Seattle and ask where a good place to get a beer you will be pointed to a local micro not a bar serving macro beer for $9 a pint.

Well those are just the ones that I make a point of going to if I'm in the area. Since I just moved to NW Indiana, I'm at 3 floyd's more than I'd like to admit because it's only 5 mins away from me. I'm sure there are many other breweries in the area that I not only have never been to, but have never heard of.
I guess I'm also confused on what makes these cities on the list great beer cities. According to that map from thickhead it's obvious that Illinois isn't even close to having the most breweries per capita. Are they going off of awards coming from those cities, most beer consumed, most beer drinkers, most exported beer, etc., etc.... anyone know?

Chicago and New York are two of my favorite cities in the world. Even as a Philly guy, I have to say that if you like cities, you just about have to like New York, and Chicago is close behind. But in all fairness, I think they both got on this list because they are great cities, not because they are great beer cities. If you are putting them in, you might as well add LA as well.

The rest are all great beer cities, and if you add Denver, and quit worrying about which one is #1, you've got the right list. No disrespect to Asheville, but it's just too little (and now I will duck and cover in preparation for the incoming rounds).

OlllO-

One of the Steamworks locations is in Bayfield, about 18 miles east of Durango. And you are correct, for being sparsely populated the SW area of CO has a good number of craft producers.

No disrespect to Asheville, but it's just too little (and now I will duck and cover in preparation for the incoming rounds).

Eheh...no disrespect taken. It is very small, but we are definately proud of the craft beer scene here. I wouldn't put Asheville on the top of that list, but few visitors would leave this city disappointed if they came to enjoy the local brew.

Eheh...no disrespect taken. It is very small, but we are definately proud of the craft beer scene here. I wouldn't put Asheville on the top of that list, but few visitors would leave this city disappointed if they came to enjoy the local brew.

I've always heard good things about it even before it became a mini-mecca for craft brews. I will get down there one of these days.

I did not know there was a brewery in Silverton CO, That gives me one more reason to get out there, I've been chomping on the bit to get to Silverton Mountain now I have another reason to go there!

I had some friends out this weekend from Tucson to enjoy the kick off of SD beer week. We went to the Brewer Guild festival, and they where vary impressed with all the different styles of beer and breweries represented. The event was fairly well attended for the Saturday afternoon session, but I now the evening sessions where packed.

I don't have much experience with beer cities east of the rockies, so I can't comment on that, but I think the west coast representation on that list is well merited.

B-

Let me know when you make it up this was, I'll bring some beers up to Silverton! The brewery there has some really good beers, and ok food.

I'd love to hit up Silverton Mountain as well, have to brush up on the tele a bit I suppose though.

1) Stone - Middle-of-nowhere Escondido (50 miles from downtown).
Hey!!

In Escondido, I'm within a short distance of Stone, Lost Abbey/Port, Green Flash, and newcomers Mother Earth and Iron Fist. Except for Stone though, these are all tap rooms in the breweries. What we really need are more and better Brew Pubs. That's one thing I really liked about Portland.

Honestly, I don't even know what's near downtown San Diego anymore.

Hey!!

In Escondido, I'm within a short distance of Stone, Lost Abbey/Port, Green Flash, and newcomers Mother Earth and Iron Fist. Except for Stone though, these are all tap rooms in the breweries. What we really need are more and better Brew Pubs. That's one thing I really liked about Portland.

Honestly, I don't even know what's near downtown San Diego anymore.

North County definitely has a good number of breweries. It is neat to know that they're all flourishing up there. Iron Fist is a great newcomer to the lineup, too.

San Diego proper has less breweries, but we have 30th Street and the bars that are on and around it. With Hamilton's, Toronado, Blind Lady, Livewire, Downtown Johnny Brown's, Small Bar, Ritual Tavern, The Neighborhood and more all serving great craft beer and with a max travel time of 10 minutes between any of them (and many much closer!), you have a great corridor that lies in and near downtown.

AND Stone is putting in a tasting room in South Park, on 30th Street. All of San Diego County is pretty amazing. Now if Pizza Port would only open an inland location.

lol, I love this thread resurrection, as I've avoided responding to it earlier. San Diego, y'all have great breweries, but Portland still has you beat, and I want to be fair, so let's base this entirely on quality beer based on the average strip bar in each region. Every titty bar in Portland has micro on tap, and they show pink when they serve drinks. CA's strip club laws are a detriment to you San Diego. No matter how good your beers are, Portland will win.

I love this thread resurrection.

Please tag and release!

zombieprocedureposter.jpg

HopheadNJ said:
Philly doesn't beat NYC with anything, except cost of living.

Philly most definitely beats new York in many, many things, particularly in beer an d brewing. Don't let your hometown pride make you look Like a putz.

I have to agree that Denver belongs very high up on the list, as does new York....just not higher than philly...that would be laughable.

Am I the only one amazed by the lack of good beer in the greater L.A. area? Every other major city on the west coast has great beer cultures ... L.A. has a handful sprinkled among a sea of mediocrity.

Zombie thread!

From the Oregon Brewer's Guild:
• There are 37 breweries operating in Portland, more than any other city in the world.
• The Portland metro area is the largest craft brewing market in the US.

Look, San Diego, I love ya...I've spent plenty of time down there...but it's not even close. There's only one Beervana, and it's definitely not in California.

I'd throw Austin in the mix. We aren't number one yet but we are booming as far as number of new breweries. Hopefully their beers will start making it out to the coasts soon so you guys can taste some of the goodness being brewed here in Texas.

Although it's classified as a town by some, I would say Burlington, VT.

VT's cranking out a lot of great beers right now. Not only that, but the neighboring states are kicking arse as well.

I think the people here who are suggesting any city other than Portland have never been there. It is nothing short of incredible. Rains beer sometimes in that city.

Yes, I've been wondering about the best beer cities in the nation.

There are so many, it's hard to list them!!!!!!!!

Since I'm in the South, the following are some great Southern beer cities:

Bham
Asheville
Raleigh
Atlanta
Memphis
Chattanooga
and more.....

The following are just SOME OF the cities I would put up near the top of the list for the US:
Milwaukee
Denver- biggest beer festival in the country
St Louis
Boston
New York City
San Diego

the list goes on...........

Well, since this thread is resurrected, it is, in fact topical again.
Charlie Papazian is currently running a survey for ... wait for it...
the best beer city in America.

Asheville, NC has won the last two years, and is well on the way to winning again this year.
I have give them kudos for their passion and for getting the vote out.
On the other hand, I don't think a lot of the cities even know there is a vote.
Stone dropped the link on their Facebook page two days ago, and San Diego has been gaining steadily ever since.
Two days left, Will San Diego make it? We'll see.
Voting only takes a few seconds.
http://www.examiner.com/beer-in-national/beercity-usa-2011-video

Back