Force carb trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pellphoto

Reaction score
Ok, noob homebrewer here. I'm carbing a keg of Nut Brown (it's been on CO2 for a couple weeks now) and something is weird. After the pour, it has a decent head and there are bubbles on the sides of the glass but when you have a drink, it is very flat. Am I doing something wrong?

I am not an authority, but it takes me 10 minutes to force carb a keg. Set the gauge at 30lbs, place the keg on its side with the intake on the bottom, turn on the gas and shake it until you stop hearing the bubbles. Put in the fridge and let it settle over night. Release the pressure, reset pressure to desired dispensing level, and enjoy.

Ok, noob homebrewer here. I'm carbing a keg of Nut Brown (it's been on CO2 for a couple weeks now) and something is weird. After the pour, it has a decent head and there are bubbles on the sides of the glass but when you have a drink, it is very flat. Am I doing something wrong?

Are you doing the "set and forget method"? How much psi have you been doing over the last couple weeks? How cold is your beer and how long are the beer lines? I normally do 30psi for 24-36 hours then reset to serving pressure, my beer is perfectly carbed in 3-5 days with this method (no shaking).

Since you seem to have foam, I suspect that the serving lines are shorter than optimal. A short serving line "knocks" the co2 out of suspension so you get a big foamy head but the beer is seemingly undercarbed.

I think it sounds like the serving lines are under 6', and ideally would be more like 10', to balance the amount of pressure/carbonation in the beer.

I'm doing the set and forget it method at 15psi in my sanke keg at 42 degrees. I had the lines at 10 feet and cut them down to 7 which actually helped. It is better now but it just seems weird.

My line is about 3 feet, maybe 4. Just a basic picnic tap.
It's at about 40 degrees and has been below 10psi since monday.

Back