Change the yeast for this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I haven't had time to brew for more than 4 months so I'm pretty stoked that I will be brewing this weekend. I am thinking of brewing my Twilight Summer Ale clone that I'ver brewed several times before. However, I guess my tastes have changed some and I find the beer just a touch off from what I think I want. What I'd like to try is changing out the English Ale yeast (WLP002) for good ole California Ale yeast (WLP001). I think this would result in a crisper less fruity/sweet beer. Below is the recipe - what do you think - would you switch it up?

recipe.gif

Wyeast 1056, American ale. From the Wyeast website,
"Very clean, crisp flavor characteristics with low fruitiness and mild ester production. A very versatile yeast for styles that desire dominant malt and hop character. This strain makes a wonderful “House” strain. Mild citrus notes develop with cooler 60-66°F (15-19ºC) fermentations. Normally requires filtration for bright beers."

Thanks for the response iceemone

WLP001 has a similar description and living in San Diego, I can get very fresh yeast from White Labs so that is usually my preference.

My questions was more about just switching up the yeast in a recipe to change the character of the beer. I don't see that mentioned in any of the posts I've read so I was just wondering if folks did that very often and if they did, did they get the results they expected.

Back