Local MN brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSpiffy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Headed over to Minnesota for work this week, and hit up a local liquor store to find some regional/local brews. I think I found some good ones, but I'm note sure, so I figured I would see if any of my HBT pals had tried any of these, yet. Here's what I picked up:

• Brau Brothers Brewing Co. Sheep Head Ale
  • Steel Toe Dissent Dark Ale
  • Flat Earth Brewing Co. Black Helicopter Coffee Stout
  • Leech Lake Brewing Co. Loch Leech Monster Scottish Ale
  • Staples Mill Brewing Co. Stout of Morning Destruction (coffee bourbon stout)
  • Widmer Bros. Brewing Barrel Aged Brrrbon '11 seasonal ale (I know it's not local, but hey... sounded good!)
I sat down with a Sheep Head Ale tonight, and found it pretty pleasant. It had tons of head right out of the bottle. I had to let it settle down before pouring more. It's definitely hoppy. I don't really like hoppy brews, but this one isn't bad. It's kinda malty, smooth, and more citrusy than bitter/hoppy. If anyone's from WI, it's kinda like New Glarus Moon Man, but not as hoppy and bitter.

So, that's what I've been up to. Feel free to chime in, if you've got any feedback or comments!

EDIT: On a side note, I tried something tasty from Central Waters (local WI brewery) recently. I tried their Peruvian Morning coffee-bourbon stout. Initially I didn't like it that much. But as it warmed up in the glass, I realized I got a TON more flavor, and it smoothed out. When it's really cold, you lose most of the flavor and only get the hops. Not very tasty. But warm it up a bit, and it's a really tasty brew!

I've only had the Leech Lake offering. They are located about 10 miles from our property up north, so we've stopped in a few times. Nice guys and some good beer. I really like their Minobee ESB. A little strong for the style (I think 6.5 or 7%). The Scottish ale was decent. I hope they start diversifying their offerings and hops. Last I checked everything was Fuggle hopped. To be fair they've been in business for 1-1.5 years now.

Haven't had the Sheep Head ale but love the name. I'll look for it.

Brau Bros is near me. I have brewed with them in the past. Sheep head is my favorite beer they make.

Since you are from WI, I'm guessing you can get your fill of Surly and Summit, the other two bigger regional beers.

What liquor store were you at that you had that good of a local selection? Everytime I go home to Minnesota, I see Linenkuegal and Michelob Golden Draft light (which I really like). But I'm from the sticks. Even so I only really remember Summit and Surly beers last time I was in the Twin Cities.

I went to the Liquor Barrel, in St. Louis Park on Excelsior Blvd. It doesn't look all that different from a standard liquor store, but I was pretty surprised by the selection of local stuff they had. They had a separate little cooler that had most of it in there. And everything I got, aside from the Sheep Head Ale, came in large bottles. The Stout of Morning Destruction came in a 750ml bottle! I want to drink it all right now, but I don't want to down that much $$ in beer that quickly, either. A couple of these weren't too bad, at around $5 each. But I remember that at least the SoMD and the Brrrbon seasonal ale were around $13 each.

Anyone else smell smoke..? I think that's money burning a hole in my wallet...

Oh, I did also try a Surly Bender at a pizza place. Not too shabby for beer in a can!

MrSpiffy said:
I went to the Liquor Barrel, in St. Louis Park on Excelsior Blvd. It doesn't look all that different from a standard liquor store, but I was pretty surprised by the selection of local stuff they had. They had a separate little cooler that had most of it in there. And everything I got, aside from the Sheep Head Ale, came in large bottles. The Stout of Morning Destruction came in a 750ml bottle! I want to drink it all right now, but I don't want to down that much $$ in beer that quickly, either. A couple of these weren't too bad, at around $5 each. But I remember that at least the SoMD and the Brrrbon seasonal ale were around $13 each.

Anyone else smell smoke..? I think that's money burning a hole in my wallet...

You need to go to The Four Firkins. Not the cheapest place, but the best selection around.

Also, Steel Toe Brewery is in St. Louis Park and they sell growlers from the front a few days a week.

Welcome to MN!

Brau Bros is near me. I have brewed with them in the past. Sheep head is my favorite beer they make.

Now, THAT is cool, to brew with someone in the business. Nice!

Sheep Head was pretty good. It's not a style I'd normally go for, but I'm glad I tried it. I'll have to look for more of their stuff the next time I head that direction.

You need to go to The Four Firkins. Not the cheapest place, but the best selection around.

Also, Steel Toe Brewery is in St. Louis Park and they sell growlers from the front a few days a week.

Welcome to MN!

Dang it! And I was RIGHT THERE! Man, had I known, I would've popped into the brewery... Well, my company's office is nearby. Sounds like I'll have to hit up Steel Toe next time I'm up there. I went back to Madison this afternoon. My trip was really short. Glad I found this stuff, though! I'm always looking for new beer to try.

Back