Easiest/Most affordabe way to serve beer from keg when on vacation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
Hi,

I've done a lot of reading and have seen a lot of good ideas from rolling kegerators to mini Co2 charges, but I'm not sure I can do those. I'm short on room in the car (going on a road trip) and want to take a couple of kegs with me. Whats the best/easiest way to serve my beer while away from home? Do I just need to take my 5lb Co2 tank/regulator and a picnic tap, or are there better options?

Thanks,
J

IMO, most portable would be the picnic tap and one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NV9CE6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You can find a better price if you look around.

If you're careful with your CO2 bulbs (i.e. don't let your drunk friends pull the trigger), you can push and entire (carbonated) keg with less than 2 bulbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Accomodations = Beach House

Short on room, yes, but I'm prioritizing.

I'm not really sure how I will keep them cool. Ice chest?

wow, this is more factors than I thought.

Accomodations = Beach House

Short on room, yes, but I'm prioritizing.

I'm not really sure how I will keep them cool. Ice chest?

wow, this is more factors than I thought.

You said road trip but you mention beach house? I was thinking taking a road trip with tapped kegs in the back might get you in trouble. Even if the final destination is a beach house where they will be tapped and consumed, I think I would just stock up on local assorted store bought beers at the beach house and maybe hit a bar or two while on vacation for a change of pace instead. Something different and easier.

fill bottles with a BMBF? Leave kegs at home.

Thought of that, but then I thought about the fact that glass can't go on the beach or by the pool if need be, but a keg can. i thought about PET bottles, but too expensive for this one use.

Make one of these put one of your kegs in it freeze all the food you are taking and pack it around the keg and when you get to the beach house put the food in the fridge and the ice in the mobile kegerator.
https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/1/medium/mobile_keg001.JPG

or take the kegs and co2 when you get to the beach house go to the dollar store and get a trash can to fill with ice to store them in.

Your taking two kegs to a beach house if you have friends like mine and they are going you probably are already going to loose your deposit so just take a drill and make the beach house fridge into a kegerator.

are you going to Galveston?

Make one of these put one of your kegs in it freeze all the food you are taking and pack it around the keg and when you get to the beach house put the food in the fridge and the ice in the mobile kegerator.
https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/1/medium/mobile_keg001.JPG

or take the kegs and co2 when you get to the beach house go to the dollar store and get a trash can to fill with ice to store them in.

Your taking two kegs to a beach house if you have friends like mine and they are going you probably are already going to loose your deposit so just take a drill and make the beach house fridge into a kegerator.

are you going to Galveston?
I cant view your link from my phone for some reason, but I'll check it out when I get to a computer. I'm not going to Galveston, my family and inlaws are going to Destin for a week in early June. I've already got 10 gallons of BM's cream ale I'm about to rack to the kegs next weekend.

Back