two q's: reuse yeast that rose to 73; spice a boring beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leoglenwood

Reaction score
I made a pale ale with White Labs 007 with the intention of then brewing a barleywine on the yeast cake, but the yeast rose from 67 to 73 and the pale ale smells quite estery and a hint of fusel today on day 5, in addition, my brewhouse efficiency was too high (I guess I should be pleased) and the beer was 1.063, instead of 1.054, so for these two reasons, high OG and sorta high temp, should I not reuse it to make a big beer?
or is it fine, and I can brew a big barleywine and it won't make a difference?

and also, since the pale ale tastes a little off, is there a way to make my 5 gallons of sorta fruity, not bitter enough, not malty enough (the dry ale yeast) into something more palatable? raspberries?

thanks!

shouldn't be a problem you can always wash the yeast before using it again or just decant. When building starters you use temps up around 75*F and it doesn't transfer over to the brew once you decant it and use the slurry.

thanks a lot; I appreciate the response.
I'm new to using the British yeasts; I usually use White Labs 001 for pale ales but thought I should branch out.

I second everything OLDBREW said.. I made a lager starter at 70* (the beer is currently lagering) and could taste no off flavors from my samples. Although I did just make a starter from Wyeast British II and noticed that it smelled and tasted somewhat like vinegar, but still had a Cream Ale type taste... Which is good since I'm making a Cream Ale... Did you notice anything like that by chance?

I tasted it and it had a touch of fusel and a lot of fruit in the aroma but the taste is very clean... made me think that next time I'll use more crystal malt.

I am debating making this a spiced beer - candied ginger and honey or maybe just a load of Goldings dryhops to defeat the fusel smell.

The WL website says 65-70 is optimal fermentation temp... so I guess the British like it a colder...

Just be careful trying to cover up off flavors. One of the best pieces of advice I've seen is that by doing so all you'll have will be a bad beer with fruit/spices which will still taste bad, just fruity.

Latest posts

Back