Are there Beligan stouts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
Can't think of any, but sounds like it could work nicely. I'm going to be brewing up a 10 gal batch of Lil' Sparky's oatmeal stout in the near future and was contemplating using a belgian yeast on half. Thoughts?
And for good measure, here's a dancing banana :ban:

Can't think of any, but sounds like it could work nicely. I'm going to be brewing up a 10 gal batch of Lil' Sparky's oatmeal stout in the near future and was contemplating using a belgian yeast on half. Thoughts?
And for good measure, here's a dancing banana :ban:

Belgian yeast in a stout, that would be an interesting brew. I say go for it!:rockin:

Vertical Epic 09 is like a Belgian Imperial Porter, so it's close. I really liked it.

Unibroue Trois-Pistoles is a belgian strong dark ale. It's simply awesome :rockin:

So yeah, a belgian "stout" can be done and can be amazing.

Trois-Pistoles

Black Albert is basically a Belgian Imperial Stout. Buffalo Belgian Stout is supposedly the "only" Belgian Stout out there.

I also have one in the fermenter right now! Not too long ago DubbelDach was asking for opinions on his as mine was boiling away. I say go for it, but choose your yeast wisely. Pick something that you either know, or think, will play nicely with the other flavors in your recipe.

I'm particularly wondering if that recipe specifically lends itself to a Belgian profile. It might be a bit too sweet or creamy. Also wondering which Belgian yeast might be a good choice as I'm not too familiar with them.

I'm particularly wondering if that recipe specifically lends itself to a Belgian profile. It might be a bit too sweet or creamy. Also wondering which Belgian yeast might be a good choice as I'm not too familiar with them.

I asked SWMBO, who is a supreme Belgian style AND stout lover, what she thought of an oatmeal stout with belgian yeast...she didn't think much of it. Thought that full bodied mouthfeel from the oats might clash with what makes the Belgian yeast flavors really shine. I think you might as well give it a shot. The Belgian yeast should dry it out as much as nottingham and give it some interesting esters. If they clash, just give it a bit longer and it should smooth out pretty nicely. The French Saison Wyeast VSS strain may be nice for this and you could probably reduce the oatmeal a bit.

"Produces saison or farmhouse style biers that are highly aromatic with clean, citrus-esters. Expect peppery and spicy notes with no earthiness and low phenols. This strain enhances the use of spices and aroma hops, and is extremely attenuative but leaves an unexpected silky and rich mouthfeel in a very dry finished beer. "

Those aspects of the yeast might make it a good fir for an oatmeal stout, but it's just an educated guess.

Mine was done with a foreign export stout base. Brought my base recipe into the LHBS and the person helping me had done a number of Belgian Stouts before so he tweaked it ever so slightly (subbing some pale choc for chocolate and talking me out of my fear that it might be too roasty for the yeast).

I'm using the 3711 on an Abbey and Golden strong right now (brewing the GS Sunday to pitch on the Abbey starter). I think using a foreign extra base sounds like it makes sense. The dryness of the style seems more appropriate. The thikness of an oatmeal was my main concern.

Try it! A foot-tasting stout sounds interesting (though disgusting IMO), but someone out there might like it.

Unibroue Trois-Pistoles is a belgian strong dark ale. It's simply awesome :rockin:

So yeah, a belgian "stout" can be done and can be amazing.

Trois-Pistoles

A Belgian Dark Strong would not be the same as a stout.. you would be using roasted barley, chocolate, maybe oats, etc.

But I think it would be interesting. I would think about using WLP-570.

I made a wheat stout awhile back using WLP-300 heffe yeast.. and it is pretty good. Especially after it conditioned for a few months.

Back