Begginner: Temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rethin

Reaction score
I have my first batch stewing in the corner. So far I think I've escaped any major blunders. But I still have a couple of questions.

Right now the ambient temp in the room is hovering around 22-23C. The yeast packet says ferment between 18-24C.

I have so far resisted opening the fermenter and taking a tempature reading. But I'm concerned that due to the action of the yeast the temp in the wort is exceeding 24C.

My question: Is the recomended fermentation temp for the ambient enviroment or for the temp of the wort?

Should I take temp readings from the bucket? Or just be concerned about the room temp?

Thanks

Rethin

Rethin said:
Should I take temp readings from the bucket? Or just be concerned about the room temp?

Thanks

Rethin

i wouldnt take a temp reading. Just assume its gonna be a few degrees higher than ambient temps. Next time get a stick-on thermo. It will be ok.

Most beers will be fermenting at about the same temperature as the room. The only exception I've seen is an IPA that I pitched on a yeast cake. That not only foamed all over the place, it got rather warm. Even then, after 24 hours, it cooled down to room temp.

If you were doing large ferments, 50 Liters or more, temperature could be a problem.

You can cool the fermenter a few degrees by wrapping it in a damp towel.

Back