Please Critique My Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobot

Reaction score
Here's what I plan:
8 lbs. Pilsen LME
1 lb. Breiss Golden Light DME
1 lb. Belgian Carmel Pils (steeping)

1 oz. Chinook 60 min.
1 oz. Simcoe 45 min.
1 oz. Simcoe 25 min.
1 oz. Simcoe 15 min.
1 oz. Cascade at flameout

2 oz. Cascade dry hop.

US05 dry yeast

Any criticism is welcome, I haven't done this yet. Thanks!

Well, not a bad start.

I'd change up the hopping, to get more flavor out of the hops.

Something like this:

1 lb. Belgian Carmel Pils (steeping)
1 lb. Breiss Golden Light DME (at boil)
2 pounds LME (at boil)
6 pounds LME (at flame out)

1 oz. Chinook 60 min.
1 oz. Simcoe 15 min.
1 oz. cascade 10 min.
1 oz. Simcoe 5 min.
1 oz. Cascade at flameout

1 oz Cascade dry hop.

Thank you, Yooper. Do you think that adding the LME at flameout will help to keep the beer a lighter color? My extract brews so far have all been much darker in color than I expected. (Not a real big deal, just a visual thing.)

Thank you, Yooper. Do you think that adding the LME at flameout will help to keep the beer a lighter color? My extract brews so far have all been much darker in color than I expected. (Not a real big deal, just a visual thing.)

Oh, yes, definitely! Especially with LME. Also, with adding the bulk of the extract at the end, you have more space in your pot for more volume so the boil is "bigger", plus I find a less "cooked extract" taste in extract beers that have the extract added late.

I have found that LME tends to come out darker than expected for the most part.

Adding the extract late boil will also give you better hop utilization.

I will second Yoopers amendments, maybe simplify it even more with a 60/10/0/DH, and add 1 oz. of Simcoe to the dryhop. Your original recipe had 7 oz. total hops anyway. Her revisions left you with 6 oz.

Might want to add the slightly darker extract (Briess Golden DME) late in the boil along with 4 lbs. of the Pilsen LME... use 3 lbs. Pilsen LME at boil start.

And if you want a bit of added dryness, save some DME for a yeast starter and substitute the portion you removed with table or corn sugar, added as a late addition. For extract IPAs, I've found that anywhere from 8-13% sugar helps in a way to prevent stalling out at 1.018-1.020 FG. Other factors matter as well such as yeast health, pitch rate, pre-pitch oxygenation levels, etc.

Back