Brewing with cheatgrass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just listened to this while driving home. I had my first exposure to cheat grass in 2010 while excavating a paleoindian site in Idaho. I despised cheat grass but I'm very interested in learning more about using it in brewing.

We have tons of that stuff out here in eastern WA. May have to give it a try

Wow, cool idea to help curb an invasive species. Sounds kind of similar to the ...was it a type of asian carp that has infested the Missisippi? I read somewhere that the only way to possibly reduce that threat was to give it a tasty name and convince restaurants and stores to carry it all over the country.

Not sure if it's gluten free. Keep on mind though it's apparently not self converting so you'd need something with the ability to convert it. The professor who was interviewed used six row.

It is not gluten free, it is very high gluten according to the tests we have performed. All questions regarding cheatgrass beer can be answered by me. My wife and I are the inventors and I am the brewer. FYI it is illegal to harvest this stuff, we have special permission from the BLM.

Cheatgrass grows in alot more places than on BLM land where it wouldn't be illegal to harvest.

The west is where the cheatgrass problem is, so that is where our focus lies. I am not aware of much cheatgrass too far east.

Latest posts

Back