Widmer Drifter Pale Ale Clone - Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bburns

Reaction score
I took a shot at a Widmer Drifter Pale Ale clone a few weeks ago. I followed this thread and converted it to a partial mash/extract version in BeerSmith.

Volume: 5 gals
Yeast: Safale US-05
Boil Type: Partial Mash

Partial Mash Ingredients:
5.0 lbs. Pale Liquid Malt Extract (LME)
2 lbs. Pale Male (2 Row) US
8.0 oz. Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
8.0 oz. Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
8.0 oz. Caravienne Malt
4.0 oz. Cara-Pils/Dextrine

Mash Steps:
1. Mashed the grains at 155 degF for 75 minutes in 6.5 gals of water
2. Sparged with 3 qts. of 170 defF water
3. Brought to a boil, shut off heat, and added LME
4. Returned to a boil for 60 minutes, added additions...

Additions:
Columbus 0.4 oz. @ 60 min.
Summit 0.5 oz. @ 10 min.
Nelson Sauvin 0.25 oz. @ 10 min.
Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 min.

5. Cooled and transferred wort at 75 defF to carboy
6. Topped off carboy with ~ .75 gallons to make 5.0 gals
7. Measured OG = 1.051 @ 75 defF
8. Pitched re-hydrated US-05
9. Fermented at 71 degF for 5 days (fermentation started and stopped quickly)
10. Measured SG = 1.016 at 5 days
11. Transferred beer into secondary after 10 days in primary and measured SG = 1.013.
12. Dry hopped with 0.75 oz. Nelson and 0.5 oz. of Summit for 6 days
13. Primed with 4oz. of corn sugar and bottled beer

The beer fully carbonated in one week which was unusually fast from my experience. We taste tested a three week old bottle against the Widmer version. Color and clarity was identical. Clone has a larger head and was more carbonated than the original. Clone has more hop aroma and was a little more bitter and not quite as smooth as the original. However, the taste was very close. I'm thinking I'll reduce the Summit dry hop to .25 oz. next time and dry hop for a day shorter. Any thoughts on how to reduce the bitter and smooth it out a little? Enjoy!

I made the same beer from the second recipe. Left it in primary for 3 weeks, dry hopped and added gelatin 3 days later. Cold crashed and kegged after a total of 4 weeks, carbed it up and it seemed way too bitter. That was a total of 5 weeks, at 7 weeks, it was very good, not quite Drifter, but a really good beer on its own.

image-1891618915.jpg

Back