Sam Adams Fall Sampler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
It was OK.

I like the black lager a lot, and the pumpkin ale is actually probably the best one I've had.

The rauschbier? Blech! I guess I like smoked porters and stouts, but this beer was light amber and tasted like sweet bacon.

Irish red - why not

Boston Lager - been there

and there was one more........??

I picked it up last week. Haven't tried the Black Lager yet, but in the past it was good. Doesn't hold up to Kostritzer though. Their Oktoberfest is one of the best in the style (that's the other one in there ;)). I liked the Irish Red a lot last year. I don't think it was in the mixed pack last year.

The rauchbier was interesting, but definitely not my favorite of the style. I feel it could use more body. The pumpkin actually disappointed me. I guess there's just so many good pumpkin beers out there now that it's easy to be picky. It's one of the few styles actually where I like mine best. I make mine similar to a brown ale, which I find compliments the pumpkin flavor perfectly.

Huh!

Me too. I put roasted pumpkin seeds in mine that lend a little something most pumpkin beers don't have.

:mug:

I was excited to IP, the rausch is probably what ultimately made me grab that 12'er, but as stated, it left me puzzled. sweetish bacon is all I can say. Maybe yummy with eggs, but otherwise not for me.

(how are your peppers?)

I was excited to IP, the rausch is probably what ultimately made me grab that 12'er, but as stated, it left me puzzled. sweetish bacon is all I can say. Maybe yummy with eggs, but otherwise not for me.

(how are your peppers?)

Peppers? the pepper beer? I just tasted again yesterday and it is ready. I'm very pleased with it so far. Just enough heat in the back of your throat to notice, but subtle enough to drink a couple pints.

(how are your peppers?)

WAs gonna get the 12 of Oktoberfest until i saw the rauchbeer and switched. (both were on sale for $15)

Haven't tried it yet but you've all got my hopes down now.

I gave my SA Oktoberfest to my neighbour... It tasted horribly watery to me this year.

The raunchy beer was just that!
Awful, like drinking cough syrup.

I bought a case of SA Oktoberfest this year (I buy one every year).
After drinking them side by side on labor day I can say it is more malty (sweet) this year. I think I liked it better last year.

SA octoberfest is a good beer if handled correctly.

I found a 12 pack at my local store in march and kind of sat on it for a while.

I had one right out of the fridge in like may or june and I didnt like it. I thought maybe it had aged too much.

Then I just had one out of a sampler pack in september. Should be fresh and good right. It wasn't very good. Kind of bland.

Then I went to a bar to watch some football and since it was really crowded ordered two beers at the bar so i didn't have to wait for the waitress.

I drank an IPA and let the SA Octoberfest sit there. By the time I got to the SA Octoberfest it had warmed up quite a bit.

It was awesome. Just like I remember it from lat year and years prior.

It dawned on me that I was drinking it too cold and couldn't taste the subtle malty flavors.

Now I usually do try to warm up beer before drink it by swirling it in the glass and trying to warm it up with my hand.

I guess I just didn't really warm it up enough to really taste it.

Then I tried the same thing with a Paulaner Oktoberfest. It really tasted bland cold but I warmed it up and it was awesome.

I realized I have probably been drinking all of my beers too cold.

SA Oktoberfest gave me a headache this year. I tried it three times x3 beers and got a headache every time?
I had to give rest of case to my brother.

Back