How many beers in a day is considered too many?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandoncox

Reaction score
My fiancee and I had a discussion about my beer drinking while at dinner Friday. She understands my passion for craft beers and homebrewing but she has noticed that I am having up to four beers a day. How many beers is considered too much in one day? On average I have at least three everyday but is this too excessive? I don't drink for the buzz although it is nice after a day of work or for a weekend of relaxation, but in general I just love everything about beer. Liquor I don't do even though you will find a half one liter bottle of Jameson that I've had since March. I believe she is mainly concerned about me buying so many cases of beer, but this is a big reason why I have ventured into brewing my own for less expenses each month. Am I a ****ing alcoholic? How many beers do you guys drink in a day?

So I'm not the only one who has had this conversation?! At one point I was up to 6 a day, starting with dinner and continuing till bed time, but not the nights I had to drive anywhere. I don't feel I'm an alcoholic I just enjoy drinking beer. I have cut back but I do drink everyday just not as many.

Normally, I'll pull a pint, or two, when drinking during the week (after dinner). On the weekend, it all depends on what I'm doing. Right now, I'm working on kicking a keg (almost there) so I've been pulling two pints from it each day.

I think it has more to do with what you can handle. As long as you can stop drinking at any point during the day/week and not NEED to have a drink after work, or drink until you're F'd up (not able to stop) I don't think your an alchy. Although to some people having one a day makes you one. :rolleyes:

Personally, I drink the beer I brew and wine (when I feel like it). I don't drink any distilled spirits, but I'll cook with them. I don't buy cheap wine, so I make sure I'm either going to finish the bottle within a couple of days, or I'm sharing it with someone and we can finish it that day.

If she's concerned about how much you're spending on purchased beer, then get set up to brew all grain (if you don't already) and get her involved in the process. Make it an activity you can both share. Let her pick some recipes, or come up with some, to keep her interested. Make sure you establish your pipeline early on (if you haven't already) and keep it going.

BTW, as long as you're buying beer in pop-tops, you're just building your supply for bottling. Get set up for kegs, and the bottle sprawl will be greatly reduced. :D Maybe she just doesn't like seeing all those empties collecting dust (or fruit flies) or full waiting for fridge space. :drunk:

Everything is good in moderation. As long as you moderation isn't a "need" and you aren't drinking to get drunk all the time (the once in awhile weekend bash or whatever is perfectly natural) then you are ok. That has been my way of thinking. This is something I learned after growing up with quite a few alcoholics.

But you have to respect a loved one's concerns. I would take a hard look at yourself and very openly discuss what is considered excessive between you two.

I have three beers almost every day. If I get in late from work sometimes two. If I go home for the weekend I'll drink as many as I want sometimes as many as a six pack. I am home to relax after all:drunk:

Thanks for the responses. I didn't mention this but I do know when I've had enough. The most I can handle is a six pack but that is a very rare instance. I've been around and even lived with a few alcoholics during my 23 years and I know what kind of life they live... I don't consider my drinking to be that bad. I respect beer, not abuse it. Just wanted some opinions from my fellow beer advocates!

The brewing network covered this in 2005, and again in one of their recent shows. Basically, the answers are mixed, but it is universal that beer is good in moderation. The definition of moderation is what is currently being debated. Some doctors say 1-4 pints per night, while some Belgian doctors will attest that up to 9 pints a night is perfectly acceptable, and will reduce someones chances of heart disease and certain types of cancer. Either way, the resounding answer is, as long as it does not affect your health, family, or work, then drink as much as you can handle.

So yeah... as an MD if someone came in and I asked how many alcoholic drinks do you have in a night and the answer is 7-10... I'm pretty sure that most of us would stage an intervention.

So yeah... as an MD if someone came in and I asked how many alcoholic drinks do you have in a night and the answer is 7-10... I'm pretty sure that most of us would stage an intervention.

See, and that's the weird thing. I always lie to my doctor b/c the drinking questionnaire is so anti-drinking it's not even fair. Usually it says how many drinks per day: 1-2 per month, 1-2 per week, 1-2 per day, 3 or more per day. Well, I usually have a pint or two a day, and then on weekends I will normally throw down 8-12 beers in a night. Now, honestly, I feel that even if I said 1-2 per night my doc might even try to tell me to back it off a bit right there. Honestly, I hold down a high paying job in the aerospace industry, I've never had any workplace disciplinary actions, I'm never late for ANYTHING, I never show up to work smelling like booze, and I'm in relatively good shape.

HOWEVER, I know that there are docs out there that would cringe if they knew I was putting down 10-20 beers a week.

Check out alcohol consumption by nations, we are near the very bottom because of our archaic views of alcohol (have a drink alone and you're a raging alcoholic!!!) One of the few things I appreciate about Europe is the view on alcohol, it's not a huge deal.....that and their views on nudity! :mug::mug:

four beers a day
holy $$&t, I don't have a real job, and partially retired I never drink if I need to go somewhere but I will have a beer or wine with lunch, and sometimes another in the afternoon.
but at night I usually have 6-7 of some of my under 3 abv's church ale
I hate waking up with Irish flu

So I'm not the only one who has had this conversation?! At one point I was up to 6 a day, starting with dinner and continuing till bed time, but not the nights I had to drive anywhere. I don't feel I'm an alcoholic I just enjoy drinking beer. I have cut back but I do drink everyday just not as many.

by reading this quote, i would almost guessed that i posted it. i, too, have had the same conversation. used to drink that many but i also have cut back. :mug:

I generally have about 2-3 pints per day. Some days I won't have any, some days (generally weekend) I'll kick back more. As others have said, it doesn't interfere with my work or social life and I'm not drinking to get drunk. I drink beer because I like it.

I actually recently took a "health assessment survey" for a health insurance renewal. It's anonymous, so I just figured "eff it, let's be brutally honest." To my surprise, when I put down that I'll drink 15-20 beers per week it actually made a point to tell me that this behavior was "not detrimental to my health, and might actually be beneficial." (paraphrased of course)

I was shocked to say the least!

If you ask yourself that question, that's probably the best indication that you are, indeed, drinking too much.

I think that as long as other parts of your life(work, relationships, health) aren't negatively affected, then drink as much as you want. I personally don't like to jar more than a few on weeknights because I work outside in the heat and even a slight hangover or dehydration really sucks with my job. My brother(who lives with me) on the other hand puts down at least a six pack every night. He works two jobs and is very responsible. He has a great relationship with his GF. And he's skinny as a rail(6'4" 175lbs).

Honestly the only real reason I would cut back from my moderate amount would be if I felt like losing a couple lbs.

If you ask yourself that question, that's probably the best indication that you are, indeed, drinking too much.

absolutely NOT!! it is society that makes us question ourselves in the first place....not because we really have a problem.

now bring on the denial. :drunk:

I deny society dictating how much I can drink [at home]... I have my own, built-in, meter for when I've had too much... It's called falling asleep, aka "passing out"... :drunk: I've been doing this for enough years to see the warning signs before it's too late though...

I think that as long as other parts of your life(work, relationships, health) aren't negatively affected, then drink as much as you want.
True
If it's a problem for her now, it will be a problem for "us" later, explane that to her and and let her know that if that is a problem,, deal with it or leave.

Until very recently, 8 or so beers was was a normal night. I never had it affect my work, or my ability to function as a husband and father. They were spread over serveral hours after work. When I was brutally honest with my doc she said as long as it was only beer (no liquor) it was fine.

I cut back to start losing weight because I'm a fatass. If cutting back had been "hard", I would have worried, but now I'm spending that drinking time in the gym and I don't find myself craving it or longing for it. I believe it's different for everyone. If it's affecting a relationship you care about more than beer, then it's a problem. IMO.

First and foremost, obviously... you do what you want... As someone that has these conversations with people ALOT, I would say that we would prefer honesty and SOME of us won't judge and we just want the best for our patients. Patients come to us with a problem, right? And so we'll typically point out things that, well, traditionally lead to poor outcome in our patients and in health. We don't just make this stuff up... and drinking 10-12 drinks a day, despite what some may say, isn't going to help... Most European and AMerican doctors would subscribe to 1-3 drinks a day to glean the anti-stress and anti-inflammatory properties of alcoholic drinks... Is this arbitrary? Somewhat... as most people have different physiological baselines (liver and pancreas) BUT people that drink in the 10-12 drink a day range may have a physical dependence on alcohol and not really be aware of because it can take 3-5 days for it to manifest... and they may be perfectly functional before it starts to manifest....

Now if the original OP said 3 right? That's probably fine... and I don't think many would raise an eye...

As an aside, I also agree with your statement about the puritanical views of alot of America and also starting children early (12-14 years old) with a little wine and/or beer during dinner (like the French and Italians) and may curb serious binge binge drinking and encourage an appreciation for craft products, just like HBT browsing and reading ;).

Excess is bad in any form (well most excess). This is not just about alcohol... I've told patients that drinking 10-12 cans of coke that they need to cut down because most of them are seeing me for problems that can be attributed to obesity, diabetes etc and that amount of sugar and caffeine is not particularly good for insulin resistance OR cardiovascular health in a perfectly healthy person let alone a 50-70 year old with those problems...

So yes... moderation is fine and may be fantastic... but if you're drinking alcohol instead of water which you would almost have to be at 10-12 drinks a day, it's just not good for you and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a physician, on any continent, that would tell you otherwise...

This is actually kind of funny... I actually posed a similar question to the GF a few nights ago. I noticed that I seem to drink more than my friends, but I feel like I hold my own against them. I asked her if I drink too much, if I drink more than most people, and if she thinks I'm an alcoholic. Answers were no, yes, and no in that order.

Currently, I'm at beer number nine for the day... But I've been working on the deck pretty much all day, trying to sand it all down to seal/finish it. I can't say it's a normal night because it isn't, but it is a weekend and I've been working in the sun all day. On a weeknight, I might have two or three, but it is honestly a RARE occasion that I pass out from being drunk.

So, I guess what I'm saying, is that it has a lot to do with circumstance and perspective. If she thinks you drink too much, and you think otherwise, then that is something you should probably discuss with her.

So your fiancé is mad at you for having 4 beers? Whether or not there is agreement or disagreement between the masses on numbers of consumption it doesn't really matter for your marriage. Sounds like a conversation you should have had a long time ago. Compatibility happens on many levels and this is one you should definitely cover before moving forward. I wish you luck.

-cheers

I usually have 1-2 at night after work. On weekends that can range from 2-4 or so, depending on what I'm doing.

But I readily admit I'm a lightweight. I can feel the effects after 2 beers. Not enough to say that I shouldn't drive, but I can tell.

And I get hangovers pretty easy too, so I think I got it made! Cheap date and not likely to develop health problems from drinking! YAY!

I try to stay at 2 or less during the week, with at least 2 days of none, and on the weekends (Friday, Saturday and Monday for me), I very rarely go above 3-4. I work out a lot and like to stay in good shape, so I don't like to drink more than that. I don't mind not having a "six-pack" anymore, but I definitely don't want a "Fat Tire" either ;)

Homer, I've noticed that I get easy hangovers now also. I'm starting to figure out that it is tied to high alcohol beers, even if I only have 1-2. If I drink anything over 8%, I'm pretty much guaranteed to get a hang over the next day, even if I didn't get drunk (which I almost never do).

The latest data I've read is as follows:

1) 1 to 2 drinks per day actually decreases health problems below baseline (non-drinkers). Health benefits include decreased heart problems and certain cancers.

2) It has been shown that moderate drinkers have shorter hospital stays than abstainers, indicating that they recover faster.

3) Beer is also a good source of folate, potassium and other minerals that are often deficient in one's diet. This helps to increase the potassium/sodium ratio that is often unbalanced in the typical (high-sodium) Western diet.

4) At 3 drinks per day (2 for females) the health risks generally match those of the baseline (abstainers). Above that, drinkers (of 4 or more drinks/day) have increased health risks.

5) Moderation is the key here. 14 drinks over the weekend does not equal 2 drinks/day over 7 days.

Sources:

interwebs
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/07/31/earlyshow/health/main5200448.shtml

http://www.forbes.com/2008/03/14/beer-drink-health-forbeslife-cx_avd_0317health.html

"Beer: Health and Nutrition" by Charles Bamforth (a great book; find a copy used - money well spent)

I average roughly 1 pint per day, but it is really sporadic for me. I love beer, but I don't think I could drink 4 pints every single day unless I stopped eating.

I try to stay at 2 or less during the week, with at least 2 days of none, and on the weekends (Friday, Saturday and Monday for me), I very rarely go above 3-4. I work out a lot and like to stay in good shape, so I don't like to drink more than that. I don't mind not having a "six-pack" anymore, but I definitely don't want a "Fat Tire" either ;)

Homer, I've noticed that I get easy hangovers now also. I'm starting to figure out that it is tied to high alcohol beers, even if I only have 1-2. If I drink anything over 8%, I'm pretty much guaranteed to get a hang over the next day, even if I didn't get drunk (which I almost never do).

Well, truth be told, I generally get at least a little tipsy when I drink 1-2 of those big beers. That is when the trouble starts the next day. If I drink 1-2 regular beers, then I don't have a problem the next day.

Also, it's not uncommon for me to also sample 1-2 shots of whatever the girls are passing my way at the card table. I have to be social you know ;)

I don't generally try to take a day off of having a beer. I figure it's probably better for me to have 1-2 beers a day than 1-2 sodas. And my idea of "a beer" can vary with the glass size and how much I fill it. It could be a total of like 20 ounces, or a total of like 32 ounces, depending on the strength of the beer.

Also, 5-hour energy seems to help me not get tired from drinking, and also seems to lessen the hangover the next day. Must be the B vitamins.

My wife calls me an alchy all the time even tho I keep it 2-3 beers/day and maybe a sixer every sat. I regularly abstain for a day here and there just for good measure but my wife is the daughter of an ex-alcoholic (like a liter/day of vodka) so she is extra paranoid of my drinking. I had two kegerators with 1/2 barrels when we met so she knew I drank, but she still calls me out once and awhile. I just take it as a reminder to do a little self reflection and make sure I'm reasonable with it and then I'll pop the top on a beer, smack her on the a$$ and not worry about it.

Too many is the point where it starts to have a negative effect on your life, whether it is your health, your goals, daily tasks that need to get done, relationships, etc. In other words, it's a very subjective standard. Quantity alone is rarely a great indication. Is ten 3% beers better or worse than three 10% beers?

For me, if I drink more than 5-6 on the weekend then I start gaining weight from it. I don't want to gain weight, so more than 5-6 per week would be too many for me (on a regular basis -- it's ok to indulge sometimes). However some of you may not have a weight/health concern that prevents you from drinking more or more often.

Why did she bring this up? Was there something negative you did or do when you have had a few beers? I think that's the best way to figure out how many is too many. Everyone is different.

My fiancee and I had a discussion about my beer drinking while at dinner Friday. She understands my passion for craft beers and homebrewing but she has noticed that I am having up to four beers a day. How many beers is considered too much in one day? On average I have at least three everyday but is this too excessive? I don't drink for the buzz although it is nice after a day of work or for a weekend of relaxation, but in general I just love everything about beer. Liquor I don't do even though you will find a half one liter bottle of Jameson that I've had since March. I believe she is mainly concerned about me buying so many cases of beer, but this is a big reason why I have ventured into brewing my own for less expenses each month. Am I a ****ing alcoholic? How many beers do you guys drink in a day?

1. You definitely drink too much. IMHO your fiancee is right. You should cut down and focus more on things like kissing, mowing the lawn (when it need it not when you are all drunk and looking for a good time,) real face to face communication - look at her when you are being criticized man - and for gods sake don't just stick it in, haven't you heard of *foreplay*? Also do you have to ask your buddies about everything? Be a man, listen to her, she knows what is what.

2. 3-5 + tequila

I think beer comes in a six pack for a reason. More than 6 pints is unreasonable.
BUT - it also comes in 12 packs and cases. So, I would figure that more than 24 is unreasonable. :tank:

Then again, I have done 3 - 22 oz 12% Strong Dark Belgian Ales after a few tripels. That was somewhat unreasonable, but not really. :rockin:

"Everything in moderation, including moderation".

I hate to say it, one might be drinking too much when the SWMBO says "You drink too much". The point being, it's putting stress in your relationship.

I'm a 40-y-old single man, so my numbers are higher than the avg here, but I just started dating an ER doctor, so far I can get away with 2 per date - she has the same number of glasses of wine. Of course I've got 100+ lbs on her and almost a whole foot of elevation. She also lives 75 miles from my place so when I drive back, I need to be careful as it's usually quite late and I certainly don't want to fall asleep driving.

She was quite surprised when I told her that I brew 11-gallon batches...: "What do you do with all of that!". My answer was: I give a LOT of it away, bring to parties, etc. Which is very accurate.

M_C

I hate to say it, one might be drinking too much when the SWMBO says "You drink too much". The point being, it's putting stress in your relationship.

Don't know that I agree with this. One of my brewing buddies was short on bottles and figured that he needed to drink 1 bottle a day to ensure he had enough to bottle a brew in 2 weeks. His wife freaked out about this. I hardly see 1 beer with dinner as a problem. And don't think anyone would. However she said that was being an alcoholic. Not every SWMBO is rational.

I have 1-3 a day, somethimes none. SWMBO doesn't complain.

Like others said, if it doesn't affect your day to day relationships and activities negatively then it's really not considered a "Problem". However, if my SWMBO didn't like me having 4 beers a day (even though it isn't a problem), I would easily just cut it down to 2-3 a day.

One of my brewing buddies was short on bottles and figured that he needed to drink 1 bottle a day to ensure he had enough to bottle a brew in 2 weeks. His wife freaked out about this. I hardly see 1 beer with dinner as a problem. And don't think anyone would. However she said that was being an alcoholic. Not every SWMBO is rational.

I agree 100 pct with you. 1 bottle of beer of day is chump change. And, yes, a SWMBO that complains at the 1/day level is not putting things in perspective.

I have 1-3 a day, somethimes none. SWMBO doesn't complain.

Like others said, if it doesn't affect your day to day relationships and activities negatively then it's really not considered a "Problem". However, if my SWMBO didn't like me having 4 beers a day (even though it isn't a problem), I would easily just cut it down to 2-3 a day.

The point I was trying to make is that if you're arguing with the SWMBO about the numbers, then it IS affecting your day to day relationship with her. Not a good situation to be in.

M_C

I know this topic is old but such an interesting one. Personally I drink on weekends anywhere from 8-12 regular 12 oz bottles. During the week when im working I may have one with supper if im eating something that goes well with beer. I know drinking a dozen bottles is not 'doctor recommended' BUT I eat fairly healthy, exercise daily, maintain a health weight so I am going to continue to endulge in 'excess' on weekends.

Does this make me an alcoholic?? Possibly but I really don't care. I have never missed a say of work in my life due to drinking beer, my SWMBO has absolutely no problem with my consumption (and if she did there are plenty of fish in the sea), and ive never got into any trouble from drinking too much beer.

My thoughts are you get only one chance at life -- we work hard all week. When we have some time to relax at home or go our with friends enjoy yourself we earned it. So I will continue to sit down on a Saturday night watch the Bluejays game and knock back 10+ beers.

I love brewing and love drinking it so I will carry on :)

Back