In Praise of Puterbaugh Farms/Hops Direct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I just ordered three pounds of hops from www.hopsdirect.com. They are the 2009 crop.

1# chinook
1# willamette
1# Cascade

This order was $35 shipped! Man, if that isn't a deal. I am only buying hops from them from now on.

I gotta agree with you permo! I got a pound each of Cascade, Centennial and Amarillo. Shipped fast, smell great!

i couldn't agree more, last week i got 1 lb each of: Willamette, Cascade, Chinook, Hallertau, Columbus, time to make some hopbombs.

They simcoe last time I ordered from them, but then again that was quite a while ago. can't beat them though.

I ordered 1# of Amarillo and Chinook and also their sampler pack of teas. I've had their pickled hop shoots at Naked City too.

It is *INSANE* that I can get pellet hops from the U.S., across the border to Canada, for under $1.25 per ounce AFTER shipping. The very best price I could get here is 1.99 a pound PRE shipping.

Its PAAAANDEMONIUM

Another great thing, I have ordered a total of 12 lbs of hops, I have used 3lbs and I still have 12lbs of hops left!

So 3lbs of extra hops included in my orders, pretty damn cool.

Another great thing, I have ordered a total of 12 lbs of hops, I have used 3lbs and I still have 12lbs of hops left!

So 3lbs of extra hops included in my orders, pretty damn cool.

Wow, that is awesome. I will be sure and weigh mine when I open them!

I just discovered this place based on the thread. That is an insane deal. How come they can be so ridiculously cheap comparatively? Not that I am complaining.

I just discovered this place based on the thread. That is an insane deal. How come they can be so ridiculously cheap comparatively? Not that I am complaining.

And they are always delivered the day after you wanted to brew with them. But worth the wait! :ban:

I've got 5# coming tomorrow. I'm looking forward to getting them and brewing something on Saturday.

Cutting out the middle man gets you fresh hops at a huge discount. Buying hops by the pound directly from the farm makes for a cheaper and way fresher double IPA! I cannot wait to get a whiff of my hops. SUpposed to be here 2morow.

just got my hops, the are packaged very well...no oxygen in those bags at all!

Each of my pacakges contained 2.4 to 2.6 oz of extra hops! Very nice....can't wait to go nuts with the chinook.

My Chinook and Amarillo just showed up today, but I'm at work :( My wife tried one of their teas and says it's pretty good too.

I just got my order from them; a lb of Magnum and a lb of Cascade. They were both 4 oz over! I am one happy camper. I have a vacuum sealer and I split the packages down to 4 oz units.

-------------------------------
Primary: Underdog Pale Ale (OG 1.055 - 4 stage Magnum/Cascade IBU 35)

Wow, that is awesome. I will be sure and weigh mine when I open them!

I got six pounds and five of them weighed about 19 ounces and the other 17. All for $72 shipped. The great part is that I can experiment more with late addition hopping and not worry about the price of the extra hops used!

Eric

I'm in the process of planning my first hops order. Only problem is its so cheap I feel like I need to get like 7-8 varieties. I keep telling myself that a pound is as much as if I need to buy like 3oz from any other store, so I should buy it "just in case" i want to do a recipe with it.

I'm in the process of planning my first hops order. Only problem is its so cheap I feel like I need to get like 7-8 varieties. I keep telling myself that a pound is as much as if I need to buy like 3oz from any other store, so I should buy it "just in case" i want to do a recipe with it.

Do you have any brew buddies nearby that you can split your order with?

Eric

I know about wanting to have 7-8 diff picks. Due to small batches and limited space, ordering a 7-8 pounds is impractical; for me. Since I have my foundation hops, I will order smaller quantities from freshhops.com. Minimum order is 12oz; 2oz per variety. Their prices are good ($1.00-1.50 per oz) and it is all 2009 harvest.

Does anyone know the size of the 1lb batches? I'm trying to figure out how much would be able to fit in my mini-fridge so I know how much to order.

A pound of pellets can fit in a quart ziploc,

Leaf takes up way, way, more space. Vacuum Sealed it might fit in roughly a gallon ziploc.

wow that site is a problem. the longer I spend at it, the more hops I keep adding. I'm up to 1lb each of amarillo, centennial, chinook, goldings, and nugget and still can't pull myself away

wow that site is a problem. the longer I spend at it, the more hops I keep adding. I'm up to 1lb each of amarillo, centennial, chinook, goldings, and nugget and still can't pull myself away

Only one pound of each?

Just kidding.:D

You are spot-on my friend.

Eric

I have 5 pounds of hops in my freezer now, and every time I go to that site I want 5 pounds more. Prioritizing is tough, I have found however that with proper storage a year is easily achievable for storage...especially for bittering hops.

I could use some help on figuring out what to buy. I'd like to narrow my purchase down to 4 different domestic varieties from Puterbaugh Farms, and I lean mostly towards pale ales (American and British), IPAs, and possibly California Common. Willamette, Cascade, Chinook, and U.S. Goldings is what I was thinking. Any suggestions?

I could use some help on figuring out what to buy. I'd like to narrow my purchase down to 4 different domestic varieties from Puterbaugh Farms, and I lean mostly towards pale ales (American and British), IPAs, and possibly California Common. Willamette, Cascade, Chinook, and U.S. Goldings is what I was thinking. Any suggestions?

That sounds perfect. Before I got to your last sentence, those are the four that came to mind. Cascade-American aroma. Chinook-bittering. Willamette and goldings for English aroma and flavor. I wish I woulda got four pounds. That's a lot of hops! I've been pretty happy with Centennial and Willamette for my American and English ales, respectively.

Looks like you are on the right track. I would add some Northern Brewer. It is essential for Cal Common and I like it for American Amber and American Brown as well. If you are unsure about using it or brewing Cal Common, you could skip it and buy your hops by the ounce at the LHBS. Personally, I like Northern Brewer, but YMMV.

Eric

I ordered 3 lbs on two different occasions and didn't even think to weigh them. I'm set for the year now though. Anyone know a bulk seller that has simcoe?

I think willamette and the goldings may be pretty similar you have a good base here. As suggested before, maybe sub northern brewer for the goldings.

For american ales, chinook for bittering and cascade for aroma

For english style and porters and stuff, northerbrewer for bittering, willamete for late additions.

Of course these are very loose suggestions...I love the aroma of chinook...not strictly bittering.

just thought I would add this. I just did the math after weighing out my hops.

I got 56 ounces of hops for $35.86

That is 64 cents an ounce shipped to my door. LHBS is pushing $4.00 an ounce plus tax on some varieties and $3.00 for common varieties.

Looks like you are on the right track. I would add some Northern Brewer. It is essential for Cal Common and I like it for American Amber and American Brown as well. If you are unsure about using it or brewing Cal Common, you could skip it and buy your hops by the ounce at the LHBS. Personally, I like Northern Brewer, but YMMV.

Eric

I was thinking about getting the Northern Brewer but I was hoping for the 2009 crop (they're selling only 2008 in pellets). I was planning on making these last a long time and wasn't sure if it was a good idea to buy a pound if it wasn't from the latest harvest.

just thought I would add this. I just did the math after weighing out my hops.

I got 56 ounces of hops for $35.86

That is 64 cents an ounce shipped to my door. LHBS is pushing $4.00 an ounce plus tax on some varieties and $3.00 for common varieties.

$35.86 total? Including shipping? Sweet!
It is bizarre, I just found their site this morning and was wondering how much shipping was.
I really love this site!!!:rockin:

Back