is it worth it to get the carboys I order ported?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have them on all four of my Better-Bottles. If you are interested in never starting a siphon again and using the valves, ported closures and accessories that fit the ported closure (drytap airlock, 90˚ barb fitting, etc) to facilitate oxygen free transfer from primary to secondary using the CO2 produced during fermentation to purge the secondary carboy, then getting them ported is worth the extra money. IMHO.

I recognize that the cost of the accessories is high and that fact turns many people away, but I can't escape the fact that since I began using Better-Bottles I just simply enjoy the whole brewing process even more. Quite frankly because using them makes the process of fermenting, transferring, handling, cleaning and storing a whole lot easier and safer. As you can tell, I'm an advocate.

John

DSC02180.jpg

racking_schematic_carboy_purge_1.jpg

Purged Closed-Loop Racking (Fermentation CO2)

Hey johmsma22,

The setup that you diagrammed.....
with the 4 better bottles are you diagramming the 3 steps of fermentation?
So A is your primary, B shows the racking in a closed loop from primary to secondary, and C shows what??
Forgive my ignorance, but I am just getting back to brewing after an unsuccessful first go round a few years back. I'm looking for the easiest way to accomplish all of the brewing steps, and am going to purchase whatever I need to do it.

No, the diagram is not of the three stages of fermentation. It is an illustration of the oxygen free racking procedure, using fermentation CO2 from the primary to purge the secondary, that is possible when using ported Better-Bottles and accessories.

The letters in the illustration are simply the three steps involved in the procedure. The description of the procedure can be found on Better-Bottle's website. Click on "Racking" under the "How To Tips".

If you haven't already, check out John Palmer's free online book How To Brew. It will answer a lot of questions. I don't know what I would have done when I first started if I did not discover John's online book.

John

Back