Restarting stuck ferment without new yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesnsw

Reaction score
One of my Christmas toys is a new stirplate. I have a mead that started at 1.116, and has been at 1.040 for 3 weeks now. I'm wondering if, instead of buying more yeast, I can harvest yeast from the mead and build it up on the stirplate, and then put it back to try to restart the fermentation? If so, any tips?

Was it the right yeast??

That yeast is probably pooped. You might freshen it without infecting your mead, but why try?

Was it the right yeast??

That yeast is probably pooped. You might freshen it without infecting your mead, but why try?

Yeah, it was the right yeast. But because I was out of brew money and had no stirplate, it was severely underpitched.
It was White Labs 720 Sweet Mead.

I'm still on a pretty tight brew budget, and would rather spend the money on another batch of beer than restarting the mead.

I've read on the gotmead forums that the WL Sweet Mead Yeasts were spotty in their performance.

I have never heard of doing such a thing so I wont say it cant or wont work. What are you looking to get out of the mead? Sweet I am guessing? As DaveAllen posted the yeast you used has had very spotty performance from everything I have read. If I were you I would read the restarting stuck ferments in the FAQ and use K1 since it is only another dollar or so.

I have never heard of doing such a thing so I wont say it cant or wont work. What are you looking to get out of the mead? Sweet I am guessing? As DaveAllen posted the yeast you used has had very spotty performance from everything I have read. If I were you I would read the restarting stuck ferments in the FAQ and use K1 since it is only another dollar or so.

I was planning on following the FAQ on stuck ferments, with the exception of harvesting yeast from the mead itself.

I am going for something sweet, but it's just way too sweet right now.
In reading up before I started, people were saying that the Wyeast Sweet Mead yeast was bad, but White Lab's wasn't getting the same feedback.

Back