Carboy Storage/Drying Rack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
I have a table in my brew area that holds all my carboys and various fermenting vessels. I previously did not have any easy way to dry my carboys and always had to lean them against something and it was a general pain.

So...... I build this:

Rack.jpg

My new Carboy Drying/Storage rack

It was nearly free because I used scrap material and only needed to by 7 eye screws.

Here is the component break down:

Parts.bmp

Here is the procedure I used for my build:

1) Cut the 2x4 stock to length and the plywood to size.

2) Then I used my drill press and a 3" hole saw to cut six holes spaced 12" apart. Here is the spacing break down for the holes:

a standard carboy is 12" in diameter so that is the spacing I used

6 3/4" from first edge (this gets you to the center of the carboy after subtracting the thickness of the backboard)
|
V
left edge -6"-> 1st hole -12"-> 2nd hole -12"-> 3rd hole -12"-> 4th hole -12"-> 5th hole -12"-> 6th hole -6"-> right edge

3) Assemble the 2x4 stock. I made 3 h-patterns for the support structure, I will describe how to build the first. The same applies to the other two. First clamp the 6" piece under one edge of the 14". Pre-drill and screw. Then measure and mark 6" up the 24" piece, clamp the 14" piece to the 24" piece so the h-structure sits level. Pre-drill and screw the h-structure together.

4) Set-up the h-pieces and lay the bottom piece with the holes in it on top. Space one H on the left, one in the middle, and one on the right edge. Pre-drill and screw in place.

5) Assemble the backboard. Measure 4" down from the top. Then mark points at 12" intervals fromt he left edge. You need to have 7 hold downs, the first and last I spaced 1" in the fromt he left and right edge, respectively. Pre-drill these points and screw in the eye screws.

6) Mount the backboard at the top of the uprights of the H's.

All done!

Now I have all my carboys neatly positioned on my table.

To drain and store, I just put the neck of the carboy in a hole, and secure the carboy in place by wrapping a bungy around it securing each bungy hook in an eye screw. When brews are aging, I can place them in the same spot just turned upright.

Of course this could be built to any size and could be multi-level. This just fit my needs. This could be an easy alternative to buying those plastic drying racks for $9 a carboy.

I'll take some pics and post up in the next few days.

Cheers,
Justin

:tank:

Thats a great idea! What do you think about hanging it on a wall?

It would be very easy. This idea can be adapted a million ways, I just think it is a slick solution. I have a couple little plastic containers that I put under the carboys to catch dripped water or sanitizer. I think if I didn't have my table setup that way it is, I would make a multi-level storage unit to hold my carboys... say 2 carboys to a level.

I don't dry mine. I immediately sanitize with starsan and then put saran wrap over top, then foil over top, roll and shake to layer with star san, then put away right-side-up. I re-sanitize before using.

If you made the bucket-based pond-pump style carboy washer, you could hang this on a wall, then put your bucket setup in one of the wheeled buckets and push it under whichever one you wanted washed.

Depending on your setup, you could just skip building anything extra, and drill 3, 4, 5, or 6 inch holes under where your carboys usually sit upright, just inverting in place - assuming that you don't sit them on the floor (mine are on a heavy-duty, well-tested shelf). Requires no extra space, as it's in the same place whether empty or full. Then you could follow that with inserting a stir-plate under the carboy and a stir-bar in it for the first 12 hours of fermentation to really get things to take off. ;-)

I use plastic 6" flower pots that I cut the bottoms out of and set them upside down and then place the carboys in them.

Hmmm, may steal some of this idea for a 3 row that can accommodate full ones on top with room for airlocks. If I want to get crazy I could insulate the top into a cabinet and have a cheap fermoire with lots of storage below. You have my creative juices flowing...

I love this! When we move into our new house, I will be setting this up for my cornies. What are you using for the straps?

Thanks! I used plastic plumbers tape for the straps. One end is screwed into the joist, and the opposite joist has a finishing nail partially driven into it which one of the holes in the strapping will hook on.

Ask and you shall receive: I give you... WALL... 'O.... CARBOY

Rack_II.jpg

:D all fits under an 8' ceiling in 6' x 14" footprint

sad thing is, I have almost that many carboys...
I should check my scrap pile to see if I have enough to build one of those. :)

Just found this thread by accidentally clicking the link in your sig ;)

I've been meaning to make a carboy cleaning station. It will allow the carboy to sit almost completely upside-down, propped, so that I can easily spray inside with hot water.

Perhaps even make it swing around...so I can soak for a time and then spin and rinse.

In the works...I'll be sure to post when me and the tribe decide to get started.
:mug:

Back