Just Put 1st brew in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarlokJoel

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch 2 weeks ago (a Brewers best Kit Brown ale), I seen active fermenting for about 3 days then slowed to nothing over the next 2 days. after 11 days i checked the Gravity, i think i did it right, i got 1.013 i think it was 2 days in a row...that put it about 2-3% abv.

when i secdoary racked it, i tasted it...tasted pretty good accualy a smelled like beer, (flat of course).

anyays , my question, i think the gravity is a bit low. im sure i may have done a few things wrong.

i think i have have not cooled the wort down far enuff, i got a little impatient, it was about 74 degrees. i also may have not airated the wort enuff before i pitced the yeast.

also , the room i have it in is a perfect temp (i beleive) the wort sat at 68 degrees for both weeks, BUT i have a small glass brick window in my work room in the basement that let is some light.

Should i have covered the fermenter up with a blanket right away to keep the light out? (i do have a cover over my secondary untill i can block window off)?

thanks much

Joel

Hi Joel

Did you look at your hydrometer to determine your ABV? That doesn't really say what you think it says. With the sugars in a BB kit and your final gravity, the ABV is right where it's suppose to be.

If you beer tastes good, the temp was good when you pitched and the aeration was fine because it fermented out.

If you are using a bucket, a little light won't hurt. If you are using a clear carboy, you want to keep it covered in both the primary and secondary. I doubt that the bit of light coming through glass brick in the basement will do much damage.

It sounds like you did really good on your first batch. Congratulations!

Joel,

I wouldn't worry to much, do you remember what temp the wort was at when you measured the OG? The temperature will effect your reading so you want to try and get the OG and FG readings at the same temp. If it smells and tastes like beer, and it gets you buzzed, I'd consider that a successful first brew :)

-kap

WarlokJoel - Hey, that actually sounds good, I would recommend reading some of the "how to use a hydrometer" postings and youtube videos. May sound simple but there are some pointers that really make a difference.
As kaplanfx said, if it smells, and taste like beer, you must have done something right, so give it time and enjoy it.

You cant tell the ABV unless you have the Start AND the final gravity.

If anything dependant on the OG then 1013 may be a tad high dependant on other factors.

thank's guy's i feel alot better now.

i know the mistake i made with the hydrometer at first, and i will read up on the use of it real good next time.

but for a good laugh i will tell you what i did wrong (i am NOT the brightest bulb in the package).

I did accualy take a starting gravity with the top off water (mistake #1) but the really stupid one was that i was using a thief, and i ...... put the hydrometer in upside down....twice... never noticed the upside down numbers, got upset and just added the yeast and capped it. later that night i realized my idiot mistake!heh

so this will be called my "unknown %ac newb beer" :fro:

-1 for the newb. :cross:

No worries :D, i think a new brewer recently said that he was using the hydrometer as a thermometer and got up set when he didn't see the black line in the middle rise or fall:D

Back