Nut brown brew advice with late addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
I've been doing some research here on late extract addition and was wondering if it would be a good idea to do on a nut brown ale?

Short answer? Yes. The reason is that some people have reported that when they put all the extract in at the beginning of the boil they get "extract twang". YMMV

I think the late extract addition is always a good idea. It helped with the twang every time I have done it.

I'm thinking of brewing the caribou slobber kit from NB. The extract kit comes with 6lbs of LME and 1lb of DME.

I want to do the 6 lbs of LME as the late addition, is the 1 lb of DME enough for the upfront boil (full 60 min)?

If I could bump and add another question to my previous, besides the bittering hop there's another addition that boils for 45 min.

I was going to scale the bittering hop back a bit, should I scale the other a bit as well?

I usually add 2-3 pounds upfront for hop utilization purposes. I think you should gradually scale it back to see how you like it. Try just lowering the bittering hops a little and see what it tastes like. Then next time you'll know. All just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks thood6, since there's only 1 lb of DME, would it be ok open the LME and just use a portion along with the DME ?

Back