Rice Hulls in Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtreloquence

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been looking through a clone brew publication and a lot of the extract recipes call for rice hulls. My understanding is that rice hulls are used in the mash tun in an all grain batch to help prevent a stuck sparge so i'm trying to figure out how an extract batch would benefit by these.

This is the first time of heard of using rice hulls in extract. Maybe for the steeping grains without a bag?

Rice hulls wouldn't do much in an extract batch. Are you sure they don't mean flaked rice? But even flaked rice needs to be mashed, so that might not do much either.

It is probably just an error in converting the recipes to extract and not removing them. There is no reason to use them other than to waste money.

I'm fairly certain it wasn't a mistake. They don't say to use a bag or anything so it could be to facilitate the draining of the grains. Just thought it was odd to use for steeping grains. I think I'll omit it and use a bag. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back