The day before brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
I normally do everything on brewday but having time on my hands this afternoon I did everything I could today eg re-cleaning equipment, covering slotted manifold with coarse muslin cloth, covering a 2 lb weight with 2 poly bags to weigh down manifold (it tends to rise up during the mash), treated 50 litres of water with half a camden tablet to remove chloramine and with appropriate amount of sulphuric acid, weighed out my pale malt and mixed in appropriate brewing salts, so I will heat the water up tomorrow - while I eat breakfast - to 77 deg C and start the mash before 9 am. Could I have done any more?

thanks folks, I sanitise the brew bucket while the hopped liquor is cooling. I make up my trusty safale 04 starter 90 minutes before estimated pitch time. As it will be a split brew (using 2 boilers) 15 gm of hops into each at 45, 5 and 2 minutes - will weigh as I go - I thought of something else - I could send the wife out xmas shopping so I can make a proper mess....

Make sure to have a yeast backup. I don't so starters.
Make enough RO water for the brew.
Weigh out grains (crush what isn't already).
Measure out any wet/dry additives (DME Malto-dextrin-molases,etc.)
Weigh out hops.
Measure out minerals for the water.
Make sure everything is clean (I sanitize it all during the boil).
Set up mash tun.
Do a test on the immersion chiller to check for leaks.

Make sure there is enough propane, anti-foam, irish moss and Starsan.

Print out the entire recipe and method as a check list.

Might seem a bit extreme but it sure makes most brew days go smooth and problem free.:D

bosco

Back