Primary Fermentation - yes, that.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShackNasty

Reaction score
I am relatively new home brewer ( approx 4 months now). My first batch was a kit, the second was a recipe I got from this forum. Those were both 5 gal. batches with a partial boil (since I only have a 3 gal pot for boils). Anyways, my third batch, which I just recently boiled, was scaled down to a 2 gal batch (total) as I have come to prefer full boils compared to partial boils, and my equipment does not allow for 5 gal full boils at this time.

The information I have gotten from this forum just in the last few months has been unbelievably useful/helpful. This is includes the idea of leaving a wort/beer in the primary fermenter rather than transferring to secondary - thus allowing yeast to clean up after themselves and hopefully improving clarity. My first two batches were left in primary for a full three weeks. My question (finally!!!!) is this; Since my current batch (2 gal) in the fermenter is smaller than the usual 5 gal batch, do I need to leave it in primary for the full three weeks, or would it suffice only leaving it in there for two weeks to allow the yeast "to clean up their mess?"

Any opinions, or factual statements are greatly appreciated!!!!:rockin:

When you put it like that it makes a lot more sense than it did in my head. Haha.

Thank you !!!!!

The one caveat to that might be this: if you're still pitching one full packet or vial of yeast into your reduced batch, you're effectively doubling (or more) your pitching rate which could have some effect on the outcome.

Another good point. I think I may just take the midpoint, 17 days (between 14 and 21) !!!! Haha. Thank you for the reply, I really do appreciate it !

I'd leave it even longer.

I like that 5 gallons compresses the yeast cake nice and tight. A 2 gallon batch would take longer to compress, no?

I'd leave it for 5 weeks - actually after 3 weeks I'd stick it in the fridge for 2 weeks so it can get really clear.

Another good point. I think I may just take the midpoint, 17 days (between 14 and 21) !!!! Haha. Thank you for the reply, I really do appreciate it !

All of my average gravity ales are done in 10 days. It's no a problem to leave it a bit longer, but understand once fermentation is finished it should take days not weeks for you beer to condition.

So in the event that I would leave the beer to condition seven days after the original ten; is that going to lead to any adverse effects compared to letting it condition just four days?

Back