2nd AllGrain - first recipe design - How does it look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StittsvilleJames

Reaction score
This is going to be my 2nd all grain, probably going to aim to brew it this Sunday, and the first time I have tried creating an all grain recipe on my own. It's also the first time using Weyermann smoked malt, and I don't want it to be too overpowering.

I would like it to be a little malty, a little smokey, but not too roasty or chocolatey.

I was going to mash it at around 68 C ( 155 F) for 60 minutes.

How does this recipe look to those with more experience than me?

Thanks in advance!

Style: Strong Scotch Ale
Batch Size: 18.93 L
Boil Volume: 24.28 L
Boil Time: 60 min

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.083 SG (1.070-1.130 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.023 SG (1.018-1.035 SG)
Estimated Color: 17.6 SRM (14.0-25.0 SRM)
Bitterness: 27.1 IBU (17.0-35.0 IBU)
Alpha Acid Units: 1.8 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 7.9 % (6.5-10.0 %)

8.8lbs / 4.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row)
4.4lbs / 2.00 kg Pilsner (2 Row)
1 lbs / 0.45 kg Crystal 77
1 lbs / 0.45 kg Smoked Malt
2 oz / 0.05 kg Chocolate Malt
2 oz / 0.05 kg Roasted Barley

2.00 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min)

Wyeast Labs #1728 Scottish ale - Starter 2 L -

Ferment at around 18 C ( 65 F).

Looks good. You may want to throw in some hops for aroma in the last 15 of the boil like Willamette or Tettnanger.

In my experience, smoked malt goes a long way, but fades after several months. I used a half pound in an ale, and it was way too strong, but was good after a year or so. Maybe the roasted malt will dampen it a bit, there was little else in mine beyond a little crystal IIRC. Just a suggestion. Otherwise, with a late hops addition looks good to me.

In my experience, smoked malt goes a long way, but fades after several months. I used a half pound in an ale, and it was way too strong, but was good after a year or so. Maybe the roasted malt will dampen it a bit, there was little else in mine beyond a little crystal IIRC. Just a suggestion. Otherwise, with a late hops addition looks good to me.

Was it the weyermann smoked malt or peat smoked malt you used? I heard the peat smoked stuff is super strong, but less so the Weyermann stuff. Although I have no experience with it myself.

Thanks for the input!

I've used both, and you're right, peat smoked is pretty brutal. I'd say at least twice as strong. I wouldn't use more than a quarter pound of that stuff. Weyermann smoked is a little easier to use, but I'd say shoot low, and adjust up on the next batch if it's too weak.

So I made this recipe last weekend, and checked today, and am sitting at 1.018 SG.
I missed my OG, was supposed to be 1.083, hit 1.074, so less efficiency than my first AG, but close enough, for an abv of 7.5 %, which should be good enough.

Had a sample from the hydrometer tube, and you can definitely taste the smokiness. Not over-the-top-this-tastes-like-a-campfire smokiness, but you know it's there. I think it will be great when the flavours all meld together a little. Right now you get the smokiness, and also distinct maltiness, but the bitterness isn't getting lost in it, so that's a good sign.

I am going to let this sit on the yeast for another week and then bulk age it in secondary for 30 days.

Does anyone have experience with the Weyermann smoked malt and know if it will disappear over time? After bulk ageing I would like to bottle condition for 6 or 7 months before drinking, and don't want to completely lose that flavour.

Thanks in advance!

Back