Best Temp For Aging SN/RR Brux

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all. I have 3 bottles I plan on laying down for a few years. My question is whats the best temp for them to age and get max brett character? I know brett prefers warmer temps so I figured you want to age them warmer than a non-infected beers. Any advice is appreciated.

If you're going to age them for "a few years" does the temp really matter that much?
It's not like you're trying to "speed-age" your beer.
I say put them in a dark cool (do you have those in FL? :D) corner somewhere and forget about it...

Don't think it matters much as long as its not too hot or too cold. However, you do want the temp to fluctuate slightly. This is a factor in the beer changing.

personally, I'm not sure aging is going to improve brux much. Its already quite simple and dry. Aging such beers that are on brux typically end up where this beer already is.

Andrikos said:
If you're going to age them for "a few years" does the temp really matter that much?
It's not like you're trying to "speed-age" your beer.
I say put them in a dark cool (do you have those in FL? :D) corner somewhere and forget about it...

Yea I have em here in FL. I plan on putting em in back of the closet for a while.

Weezy said:
Don't think it matters much as long as its not too hot or too cold. However, you do want the temp to fluctuate slightly. This is a factor in the beer changing.

personally, I'm not sure aging is going to improve brux much. Its already quite simple and dry. Aging such beers that are on brux typically end up where this beer already is.

Temp fluctuation shouldn't be a problem. My house is an old conch house with no insulation. I could be wrong but I was under the impression that since Brux was only infected with Brett at bottling then it would take some time to really develop its character.

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that since Brux was only infected with Brett at bottling then it would take some time to really develop its character.

This is just my opinion, speaking from my taste buds. But this beer is not green. They must let it bottle condition for a time in the warehouse before they ship it out. At least a month for something like this to carb up. It's not aged but it's not green. This is a light, orval style beer, that's already got the brett character. I personally don't see it evolved into any varied flavors with aging.

Weezy said:
This is just my opinion, speaking from my taste buds. But this beer is not green. They must let it bottle condition for a time in the warehouse before they ship it out. At least a month for something like this to carb up. It's not aged but it's not green. This is a light, orval style beer, that's already got the brett character. I personally don't see it evolved into any varied flavors with aging.

Appreciate your thoughts. I've had a few of them but it was almost a year ago. They had minimal brett character to em then. So when I learned that they were infected at bottling it was my assumption the brett would need more time to work its influence on the beer.

I have a bottle in my basement that I just coincidentally looked at. The beer is 8.5% so there should be plenty of residual sugars for the brett to work on. This will never taste like a lambic but should age nicely over years. Keep it above 50 and below 74.

Wahoo said:
I have a bottle in my basement that I just coincidentally looked at. The beer is 8.5% so there should be plenty of residual sugars for the brett to work on. This will never taste like a lambic but should age nicely over years. Keep it above 50 and below 74.

Thanks for the advice!!

This is a light, orval style beer, that's already got the brett character. I personally don't see it evolved into any varied flavors with aging.

I completely disagree. The brett character will definitely evolve, just like it does in Orval. Brett will continue to work for a very long time, this beer will not remain the same.

Follow Wahoo's advice and this should develop a much more prominent brett character

dcp27 said:
I completely disagree. The brett character will definitely evolve, just like it does in Orval. Brett will continue to work for a very long time, this beer will not remain the same.

Follow Wahoo's advice and this should develop a much more prominent brett character

Thanks for the reassurance. That was my gut feeling when I bought them.

Opinions differ.

Brett creates it's flavor be eating the residual, complex sugars left over by the primary fermentation.

This is the current SG of one of my bottles of Brux. As I said, It's quite dry already and not a very complex beer to begin with. Enjoy aging it and I hope it evolves for you, but I wouldn't expect exotic changes.

Opinions differ.

Brett creates it's flavor be eating the residual, complex sugars left over by the primary fermentation.

This is the current SG of one of my bottles of Brux. As I said, It's quite dry already and not a very complex beer to begin with. Enjoy aging it and I hope it evolves for you, but I wouldn't expect exotic changes.

Based on what I've heard from Chad Yakobson at Crooked Stave, brett doesn't need left over sugars to create its 'flavor'. Brett will continue to break down things like esters and even alcohol to create those signature flavors. Brett is unstoppable.

Based on what I've heard from Chad Yakobson at Crooked Stave, brett doesn't need left over sugars to create its 'flavor'. Brett will continue to break down things like esters and even alcohol to create those signature flavors. Brett is unstoppable.

After a couple experiments with the brett brux strains they can provide a lot of tropical funky esters but its all how its fermented and conditioned. Like weezy said since it was fermented dry without the brett as a primary strain your not going to have much appeal from it, even after aging for a coupe years. Will it change? probaly but nothing where your gonna scream im glad i put these bottles away.

On the other hand you can do what i did and culture the dregs, pitch into a lightly hoped wort and ferment slightly warm, around 68-72 for those dense tropical esters/phenols. (WLP644 Brux trois does an insane job at fruit juice beer, in a good way) It does also provide a slight kick of acetic acid to the mouthfeel which pairs deliciously with the funk.

I was really disappointed when i had a bottle of this being my first RR back then, After my homebrew experiment im just really glad i got some of the yeast to play with, worth it in the end. Im a sucker for 100%brett beers now!!:mug:

After a couple experiments with the brett brux strains they can provide a lot of tropical funky esters but its all how its fermented and conditioned. Like weezy said since it was fermented dry without the brett as a primary strain your not going to have much appeal from it, even after aging for a coupe years. Will it change? probaly but nothing where your gonna scream im glad i put these bottles away.

On the other hand you can do what i did and culture the dregs, pitch into a lightly hoped wort and ferment slightly warm, around 68-72 for those dense tropical esters/phenols. (WLP644 Brux trois does an insane job at fruit juice beer, in a good way) It does also provide a slight kick of acetic acid to the mouthfeel which pairs deliciously with the funk.

I was really disappointed when i had a bottle of this being my first RR back then, After my homebrew experiment im just really glad i got some of the yeast to play with, worth it in the end. Im a sucker for 100%brett beers now!!:mug:

I don't think you read/understood my post.

Also, if think brettanomyces is all about striving for 'dense tropical esters' I don't think you understand at all what this beer is about.

If your gonna properly lay a beer down and cellar it you need temp control. Upright freezer with external thermostat is what I have. You want your temp to stay between 50-55 degrees.

I don't think you read/understood my post.

Also, if think brettanomyces is all about striving for 'dense tropical esters' I don't think you understand at all what this beer is about.

For one, i thought you were the OP my apologies there.

I just dissagree with you getting much flavor from brett at bottling on a beer this dry. You decribe brett breaking down esters which this beer is very void of and even alcohol, meaning the ABV will lower overtime as it develops?

Brett brux trois was the strain i was referring to with those dense tropical esters, barnyard brett funk is there also just not as prevalent.
With THIS strain of brett its the flavor profile i stide for, just refering to another strain the OP can use to get a "brighter/fruitier" brett apperance. I also find this strain alot easier to palate for new/bmc drinkers. Just my .02

This was a great beer. Just completly lacking...for what it was.

P.s I can still get bottles of this if anyones still looking.
Cheers!

Back