Feel like an idiot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoCoPoboy

Reaction score
well i bottled some brew the other night followed all my instructions well sanitized. I realized I had a fridge out in the Barn that wasn't working so i figured given the cold weather we have had here in NC it would be perfect for lagering since it a dark naturally cool spot so what did i do? stuck them in the freezer only to find that the fridge DID RUN! I came home the next day only to find FROZEN BREW did i kill the yeast I'm sure I did but can i save it some how?

Look up John palmers how to brew. If it didn't freeze all the way you should be able to recover. If not thaw and repitch.

Out of curiosity how much of it froze.

I'm pretty sure people freeze yeast as a way of storing it for longer durations.
True, though usually with glycerin. It wouldn't hurt to thaw and repitch the yeast.

EDIT: And yes, especially after sobering up...

Wait a second. Did you bottling in order to get carbonation? If so, your bottles need to be at about 20C for a couple of weeks in order to prime, then you lager them. You won't get any carbonation putting them in a fridge right away. Carbonation, then lager.

okay, jocopoby, can you please detail what happened? I think we are just spinning our wheels because we don't have all the details of what happened. Also, It's been 19F at our house here in tacoma at night and my garage is a chilly 25-30 throughout the day. I've had the top part freeze a few times(if you remove it you can increase the alcohol content, thats what I did to my apple cider but I went a little overboard with that.) it recovers and the bubbles keep coming durring the conditioning, albeit not very often.

Back