how to rewire fridge with custom thermostat and heat pad??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenewbrewer

Reaction score
hi guys im a first time brewer and i get my diy coopers kit on wednesday/thursday and my god im so excited all ive done is watch videos on youtube and compulsively read threads on forums and absorb up as much info as i can...

the first brew i wanna do is the coopers mexican cerveza and then the original lager that comes with the kit.. all though i havent done my first brew yet i have noticed the temperature control cannot be stressed enough how important it is

i have an old fridge at the back of my house (well its not that old its about 6 years old) and its just sitting there rotting away.. i thought well i could use this as a fermentation chamber couldnt i? i thought ill order a stc-1000 thermostat controller off ebay to by pass the thermostat on the fridge for cooling purposes and somehow wire a heat pad to it also to carry out the heating of course..
ive realised there is a heat sensor that comes with me these thermostat controllers so obviously thats how you check your heat..

so basicly im a noob guys how do i wire up this thermostat to the fridge to control the temp and get power as well as having a heat pad wired up to it for heating purposes?? it cant be that hard can it? where is the thermostat usually located on fridges?? im handy with a soldering iron etc im just not the best with diagrams.. only very simple ones.

is it a matter of snipping a few wires and just wiring them to the new thermostat controller??

the fridge is a top freezer/bottom fridge style and it is a "no name" brand you could say.. i can put up pictures tommorrow morning if it helps.

any advice tips or help would be appreciated thanks heaps guys and im happy to be signed up on homebrewtalk!!

Check out the multitude of DIY STC-1000 threads. The easiest way is to wire the stc1000 to control a power outlet. One side hot one side cool. Plug fridge in cool and heating pad/hair dryer/whatever on the hot outlet.

Check out the multitude of DIY STC-1000 threads. The easiest way is to wire the stc1000 to control a power outlet. One side got one side cool. Plug fridge in cool and heating pad/hair dryer/whatever on the hot outlet.

thankyou so much for a speedu reply.. ill have a look into these threads hopefully i can find something..

is it hard to do have you done this process yourself??

so i sort of rig up a box with 2 power points and the control and with the fridge and heat pad plugged into the appropriate plugs it will do automatic heating/cooling when i set the desired temperature?

thankyou so much for a speedu reply.. ill have a look into these threads hopefully i can find something..

is it hard to do have you done this process yourself??

If you have even beginner's electrical wiring ability, it should be a snap. Built mine for ~$30 total.

I built my stc-1000 setup yesterday, and it works great (and is dead simple to put together). Yes, it will automatically control the heating and cooling.

i wire up my own guitar electronics but them schematics are simple literally a kindergarden kids drawing showing every single solder join and wire haha

im having a little trouble finding a good link for a stc1000 build can you fellas point me in the right direction? sorry im a noob still learning this forum

I built my stc-1000 setup yesterday, and it works great (and is dead simple to put together). Yes, it will automatically control the heating and cooling.

any pictures by any chance mate? id love to see your work!

also i noticed on the stc1000 description of the item it says it can control the degrees right down to +/- 0.5 deg, is this true? if so thats bloody spot on! is there any lag with the fridge or heat pad when additional heating/cooling is needed? ex. temperature is set to 22degrees celcius and it drops to 21degrees will the stc1000 recognise straight away and turn the heat pad on? and vice versa for cooling or is there a few minute lag?

also the heat sensor that comes with the stc1000 should it be placed in the fermenter with the beer for most possible accurate reading or just tape it to the side of the fermenter? also would it be being taped to the side give an inaccurate reading?

hi guys just wanna double check this thermostat controller is the right one for my application its the 220v stc1000 obviously..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190720152312?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

if i wire up the exact same as androids post on the stc1000 i should be right shouldnt i? do i need a terminal block for the wires that clump together or should i be right just twisting them together, solder and tape insulate off?

ive read that a few lads have fried there fridges/freezers but if my heating pad and fridge draw under 10amps im fine arent i?

this the fridge i wanna turn into the fermenter.. all though i have noticed the door seals arent to good on it i may be able to just padlock it shut but i might have to replace the seals :(
2013-01-08130010_zpsde848e6a.jpg

im not sure on what the power usage is its 220v obviously with me living in australia.. it only has this sticker on the back of it
2013-01-08130116_zps64a60ee2.jpg

i may have the possible option of using this freezer also, it is much smaller then the fridge though (please dont mind the crap everywhere in my photos my step dads shed is shocking) i dont know the power usage on this either.. i might use them both and have 2 on the go!
2013-01-08130252_zpsf2ed2d3c.jpg

Back