yeast stir plate when to pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtd3612

Reaction score
tried to find answer it past post.

When you use a stir plate do you take the yeast off the plate and let if settle or do you just go and pitch right away.:mug:

Either way works. If the starter is small and you don't mind adding it to your batch, go right ahead. With larger starters, you're better off cold crashing in the fridge, decanting most of the beer off, and then pitching the remaining slurry.

Adding starter wort changes wort color some, confuses your gravity goals and adds a little bit of oxidized beer. I wouldn't sweat it if you do though because it will taste fine in the end.

If you pull the starter, chill it for 4 hours or more (24hrs is better) you can easily pour off most of the liquid.

I usually let it sit ~24 hrs in fridge and then pour liquid from top, but as said both ways will work.
By leaving starter in fridge yeast can build up their glycogen reserves.

By leaving starter in fridge yeast can build up their glycogen reserves.
Interesting. From reading Fix last night, glycogen reserves are built at the end of fermentation and are depleated quickly when stored. Are you suggesting that if the yeast are refriderated before fermentation is complete that the glycogen levels will increase as they prepare for dormancy?

Maybe it doesn't have to be refrigerated but leaving starter 8-12 hours after propagation should enable yeast to build their glycogen reserves (C. White, "Yeast").
Thus could fit into your read since starter propagation is also fermentation, so at the end of it yeast will increase glycogen.. but I'm not sure about expending reserves when stored tough..
Where did you read this?

Back