Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seen it!? I'm in it!

Such a funny video.

I love how you captured the beer geek mantra about knowing all about the details... only to use a 15 year old can, say it was your first time then even use coconut in the batch.

Classic.

I would rather continue to believe that you were purposely mocking other newbs on youtube than hear you actually say "It was all true." :)

I think the likelyhood that you actually had a 15 year old can is much less plausible.

Funny video!

I thought it was funny that he had no idea what "cold crashing" actually was and used it out of context at least twice.

Oh and the Fred Flintstone mash paddle too - where's the brontosaurus burgers?

How the hell could you 100% sanitize that fiber you're filtering with? There's no way even soaking it that would get all the nooks and crannies of that crap. I don't see it.

I thought it was funny that he had no idea what "cold crashing" actually was and used it out of context at least twice.

Oh and the Fred Flintstone mash paddle too - where's the brontosaurus burgers?

How the hell could you 100% sanitize that fiber you're filtering with? There's no way even soaking it that would get all the nooks and crannies of that crap. I don't see it.

My definition of cold crashing is any means of dropping the temperature to a point at which solid proteins coagulate out of the wort. This happens when I "ice it", and again when I add my top off. Since I don't have a fridge large enough to put my fermenter in, these two things serve functionally as a poor man's quasi cold crash in a way.

I use a clean brand new piece of filter media every time I transfer, remember we just need to kill all the microbes in it, not completely flush them out. Yet to have an infection from this.

You like that broom handle, eh? I'm a pretty low tech improvisational type of guy, If something is free and it works, why spend money on something else.

Such a funny video.

I love how you captured the beer geek mantra about knowing all about the details... only to use a 15 year old can, say it was your first time then even use coconut in the batch.

Classic.

I would rather continue to believe that you were purposely mocking other newbs on youtube than hear you actually say "It was all true." :)

I think the likelyhood that you actually had a 15 year old can is much less plausible.

Funny video!

Unfortunately all true. Some like to share their successes, but I think it's a lot funnier to share my failures. I was (and still am to an extent) a super nube!:rockin:

Ahhhhh.. so you're "that guy" then eh?

I assume you have learned and have been razzed more than I can imagine by now! Hehe...

Not as much as you'd think, sure a lot, but more people are nice about it. They tend to appreciate my honesty and humility, and overlook my gross stupidity and overconfidence, due to the intense comedic value of my complete and utter failure.

You're forgetting the most awesome part, that you are so willing and able to laugh at yourself. Kudos to you!!

i had a friend who had a mr beer kit. He told me to go to the local homebrew shop and buy thier kit, so i did three years ago and now i do both extract and all grain when i got time, i think the thing is to just enjoy your new hobby and move along at your own pace it can be rewarding in many ways.

Great video. Can't imagine getting used to drink vomit :drunk:
Looking at the bright side, anything you brew after that will be an improvement.

I'm looking into getting into homebrewing, but I'm in college and live in a dorm. Seeing as it's sorta frowned upon to brew beer in your dorm room I was looking for somethin small. The consensus seems to be that the quality of the Mr. Beer kit is kinda questionable..do you guys have any suggestions of other smaller kits id be able to use?

Dont let anyone tell you that you cant brew good beer in a Mr. Beer. I guess the main thing I would ask is if you live in a dorm, where will you brew? Do you have a stove in there?

dormbrew22 said:
I'm looking into getting into homebrewing, but I'm in college and live in a dorm. Seeing as it's sorta frowned upon to brew beer in your dorm room I was looking for somethin small. The consensus seems to be that the quality of the Mr. Beer kit is kinda questionable..do you guys have any suggestions of other smaller kits id be able to use?
Many, many people on this forum who brew beer in all different ways are here because they were encouraged by the good beer that they did make with their Mr.Beer kit.

I just got an e-mail about BrewDemon. I'm pretty sure they're the company that Mr. Beer used to get their ingredients from before they were bought out by Coopers. At least I think that's what I remember from when I signed up for their list.
Their fermentor is a little 3-gallon conical. It looks kind of cool, I'm not sure that a conical is necessary a 3-gallon batch though.
I was looking at the refills and the "basic recipes" include something called Liquid Brewing Enhancer that sounds a lot like booster in liquid form. Here's their description of it:
Adds alcohol and body to your beer and leaves a crisp dry finish. This liquid brewing sugar (LBS) contains; maize starch and water. No additives or preservatives. Brewdemon mixes feature complex blends of specialty malts, combined with the finest hops by master brewers in new zealand’s famous speight’s brewery, providing the optimum flavor profiles for world-class beers.
They also offer 6-gallon recipes. I guess we'll have to see if they go anywhere.

I was told that it was a 2 gallon fermenter but the extra space was for krausen.
Looks different.

It's listed as 2 gallons on the store but 3 gallons in the FAQ. It looks like the total size is about 3 gallons so it's good for fermenting 2-gallon batches.

It's like calling my 6.5-gallon buckets, 5-gallon fermentors. It's true, I use them for 5-gallon batches but they hold 6.5 gallons of liquid.

Here she sits on the top shelf of my closet - fermenting away. Now I need to be patient. Going to check it at 2 weeks then see if it needs that extra week.

a8080bde433e11e2bbaa22000a1fb198_7.jpg

Can anyone voice some input on my estimated times for each step? My estimated times are the following:
Fermenting (in keg): 2-3 Weeks
Conditioning (in bottles): 2 Weeks
Cold Conditioning (in fridge): 1-2 Weeks

Do these times look correct to everyone in here? I would love for my first batch to come out as good as possible!

Here she sits on the top shelf of my closet - fermenting away. Now I need to be patient. Going to check it at 2 weeks then see if it needs that extra week.

Can anyone voice some input on my estimated times for each step? My estimated times are the following:

Do these times look correct to everyone in here? I would love for my first batch to come out as good as possible!

Looks good to me. What did you make?

Looks good to me. What did you make?

I made the "Classic American Light" recipe that came with my kit - low ABV and low IBU, but seems like its a good start to this whole thing.

So quick update for tonight - just want to confirm what I am seeing is actually fermentation. See the picture below. Also my closet is 71.4° so temperature is awesome in there.

qt0IL.jpg

Wait, no airlock in Mr. Beer...still looks like fermentation. Looks a lot like mine looked (I made the same kit brew).

I made the "Classic American Light" recipe that came with my kit - low ABV and low IBU, but seems like its a good start to this whole thing.

So quick update for tonight - just want to confirm what I am seeing is actually fermentation. See the picture below. Also my closet is 71.4° so temperature is awesome in there.

Yup it is fermenting. That is the krausen that you see on the top.

Been saving the Mr Beer spring special from last spring, the Imperial Lager and have finally gotten it in the keg. I found instructions on the Mr Beer forum for it since it didnt come with anything and I really wanted to do a true lager if possible, not just follow the generic Mr B instructions. So far, so good. Sitting in the bottom of the refrigerator, where it will sit for another 2 weeks before a 3-day d-rest, then some more time in the 'fridge before bottling, then should be ready by spring. No wonder I stay with ales. I dont have the patience for this stuff. :drunk:

Hello fellower brewers,need some advice here.I recently purchased 2 of the new Mr. Beer Aztec Cervesa refills.I plan to use them both in a sungle batch.If I'm correct,they will give me 26 IBU,which is alittle to hoppy for me,so my question is ,can I use some Agave syrup to sweeten it up? I want to use them both in one batch,b/c I've heard they are on the weak side, so 2 may give me a better result.Thanxin advance for the advice......Randolf

I forgot,also if I use the syrup,how much would you recommend for a 2 gallon batch.Thanx again.

Hello fellower brewers,need some advice here.I recently purchased 2 of the new Mr. Beer Aztec Cervesa refills.I plan to use them both in a sungle batch.If I'm correct,they will give me 26 IBU,which is alittle to hoppy for me,so my question is ,can I use some Agave syrup to sweeten it up? I want to use them both in one batch,b/c I've heard they are on the weak side, so 2 may give me a better result.Thanxin advance for the advice......Randolf

I am drinking that now. I did not have a very good experience with it... taste-wise. It looks a little darker than the picture too.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/mr-beer-second-final-batch-374506/

Although the sour taste could have been from fermenting too high (75-79) and its less than 4 weeks old (8 days fermenting, 2 weeks bottled: maybe it just tastes green). It looks great though as its fully carbed.

One other thing I remember, I believe I pitched the yeast at too high of a temp... I did this because I didnt know better. The water temp had to be closer to 90-100 as I poured boiled wort into the already standing water... leaving temp luke warm to bath tub warm. So maybe I pitched it too hot as well.

Randolf said:

Agave syrup wouldn't be a good idea, its 100% fermentable, so all you're going to do is dry the beer out further. I would recommend instead of using both cans of Aztec cervesa together use one can and add a pound of extra light DME (dry malt extract) .

Also, as the beer gets bigger, the more stuff you put in it, you'll notice the ibus less. The bitterness from the hops is there to balance out the residual sweetness from the malt. So, those 26 ibus might not taste quite as bitter as you think they will with both cans in there, though they'll certainly taste more bitter than the one can alone.

Thanx Tombstone,I have experimented with lots of extract recipes,but these refills came as a 2 pk with the Oct.Fest,which is the one I wanted ,so in order not to have 1 Aztec sitting around,I figured to brew both into one batch. Can't be too bad. I'm not a big fan of Corona type beers,so maybe if I use both at once it may be better.I never used the agave syrup,so I figured if anyone would know about it,I could get the info here.Thanx again...Randolf

I just brewed a batch of the Cerveza last week. I just used one can of HME along with 1 lb of extra light DME. I brewed it last Thursday and pitched around 70 degrees. Over the weekend it had a great head of krausen foam on it. I can't wait to start pulling samples in another week and a half. I plan on leaving it in there for 3 or 4 weeks and then bottle. I want it ready for SWMBO's birthday Feb 5th.

From what I've read this is closer to the darker Dos Equis and not so much like Corona. Good luck and let us know how it turns out Randolf!

a8080bde433e11e2bbaa22000a1fb198_7.jpg

IMHO, if you let it condition for 3 weeks you tend to get better beer

I'd let it sit in the LBK three weeks then at least 4 weeks carbonating/ conditioning, the the fridge.

Me too,3 weeks in the keg,4 weeks condition at room temp,and 3 or 4 days in the fridge. I have 3 new ones to test on New Years Eve.Hope they turn out good.

But there in lies the problem... who can wait 6 weeks for a 2 gallon beer?

This is when you get hooked... you have to build up a pipeline in order to have constant beer available otherwise you will be waiting all year.

Thats when you upgrade to the 5 gallon batches and then doubling up on that... start buying in bulk and it gets worse from there.

I am already looking to get the kegs, co2 , kegerator and so forth just to have my pipeline "established" :)

Actually,I "OverBrewed" my pipeline and almost ran past my bottle supply.Right now I'm sitting on 7 cases of different brews,some Mr. B,some of my own concoctions,and 3 more cases conditioning.I also have the ingredients for 11 batches of Mr. B. to be brewed after the new year,so I'm in pretty good shape .

Actually,I "OverBrewed" my pipeline and almost ran past my bottle supply.Right now I'm sitting on 7 cases of different brews,some Mr. B,some of my own concoctions,and 3 more cases conditioning.I also have the ingredients for 11 batches of Mr. B. to be brewed after the new year,so I'm in pretty good shape .

You arent drinking it fast enough :)

Do you only have 1 Mr. Beer keg? If you have more fermenters then nevermind.

My problem is I have 75% of my bottles full and 7 gallons (5 gal bucket and a 2 gal Mr Beer) ready to bottle as soon as Saturday. I need to buy more bottles/jugs/a keg.

If I dont upgrade, I will never get my pipeline running full tilt. 'Must Maximize Every Hour' :)

Actually I have 3 LBK, 1 Mr.Beer Pilot(6 liter...retired),and 2xMr. Beer 6.5 gallon fermenters,and am going to send for 2 of the new BrewDemon conical fermenters.With all the fermenters I have now,I can really turn out some beer.I do all x-trct brewing,so even w/ hop boils (3) 2 gallon batches in a day is do-able,even with clean-up.

Back