More Sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel_NFLD

Reaction score
Good or Bad? This is my third time DIY Cooper's canadian blonde mix. The last two brews where weak in Alc% so this time i added 2kg of corn sugar instead of the 1kg. I was just wondering if this would it boost the Alc% up or Make a bad batch any reply would be great.

It will give more alcohol with a thinner body and no additional flavor. Most of us here like more flavor and body than alcohol.

tennesseean_87 said:
It will give more alcohol with a thinner body and no additional flavor. Most of us here like more flavor and body than alcohol.

Thanks for your input. I'm from Newfoundland, Canada and the only way to get malt extract and natural ingredients is to order it online. That can get expensive but i have placed and order for malt extract to use this and make the sugar a less of an ingredient. try to add more flavor to my brew. Eventually i'll stop using the kits altogether and start from scratch and any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for your input. I'm from Newfoundland, Canada and the only way to get malt extract and natural ingredients is to order it online. That can get expensive but i have placed and order for malt extract to use this and make the sugar a less of an ingredient. try to add more flavor to my brew. Eventually i'll stop using the kits altogether and start from scratch and any advice would be greatly appreciated

I'm assuming your not from St. John's, but we have a fantastic brew store called Brewery Lane that carries everything you could want. They have an online store www.clickabrew.ca that might be easier on shipping. :mug:

Snicks said:
I'm assuming your not from St. John's, but we have a fantastic brew store called Brewery Lane that carries everything you could want. They have an online store www.clickabrew.ca that might be easier on shipping. :mug:

Nope lol. A little town call mattis point and i mean little pop. 250 lol thanks for the link i will check it out.

I know it's hard to get ingredients, but if you can, it's cheaper to order in bulk and make up your own recipes. I'm in an area that does group grain buys, which makes things a lot cheaper, but I assume you're not. Browse the recipe section and find clones of beers that you like to get an idea of what ingredients and how much of each go into each type of beer (brown ale, pale ale, stout, etc.). It'll take a while to get the hang of it, but hang in there!

tennesseean_87 said:
I know it's hard to get ingredients, but if you can, it's cheaper to order in bulk and make up your own recipes. I'm in an area that does group grain buys, which makes things a lot cheaper, but I assume you're not. Browse the recipe section and find clones of beers that you like to get an idea of what ingredients and how much of each go into each type of beer (brown ale, pale ale, stout, etc.). It'll take a while to get the hang of it, but hang in there!

I have order dme, hops, malt, barley, wheat grain and dextrose for priming and yeast. It was a Canadian site so after i reached over $120 shipping was free with saves me $50+. Now this is frist time starting from the ground up if you have any pointers for me it would be great!!!!!!

I have order dme, hops, malt, barley, wheat grain and dextrose for priming and yeast. It was a Canadian site so after i reached over $120 shipping was free with saves me $50+. Now this is frist time starting from the ground up if you have any pointers for me it would be great!!!!!!

There is a reddish brown bar at the top of this and every page on HomeBrewTalk with some words in white. The 6th entry is Recipes. This is a great place to start because the recipes state when they are extract, partial mash, or all grain and the person who put the recipe there has brewed is and there is usually a discussion following telling anything special about the recipe or if changes were made.

RM-MN said:
There is a reddish brown bar at the top of this and every page on HomeBrewTalk with some words in white. The 6th entry is Recipes. This is a great place to start because the recipes state when they are extract, partial mash, or all grain and the person who put the recipe there has brewed is and there is usually a discussion following telling anything special about the recipe or if changes were made.

Thanks ill check it out venturing off the kits now that i have an idea how things are done. Time to create!!!!!! :)

Create away if you want to, but I've only done my own recipe a time or two. I usually brew stuff that other people have made and I know will be good. Maybe you could start with some SMASH recipes (Single Malt And Single Hop).

Also,to the left of each member's post under their avatar is "Recipes". Click on that & it'll take you straight to the one you choose from their drop down menu.

Latest posts

Back