WHEN to D-rest!? Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used s-23. bothers me is also the fact of having first used a hop bag, and he was made ​​of a very thin voile, this could have reduced the IBU and making the beer becomes acidic?

I used s-23. bothers me is also the fact of having first used a hop bag, and he was made ​​of a very thin voile, this could have reduced the IBU and making the beer becomes acidic?

No, that can't happen. If you reduce the IBUs, the beer will taste sweeter, but there are not other flavor impacts.

It really sounds like stressed yeast combined with a too-high fermentation temperature.

It sounds like you've got esters (the fruity flavors), fusels (the hot alcohol flavor and smell) and possibly some phenols (the "clove" medicinal smell). I've never used S-23 so I don't have any experience with the temperature tolerance of it or the pitching rate.

One thing I'm considering, since you say you cooled the wort for two days and then added the yeast at the appropriate temperature, 12C, and then fermented at 12C- it could be from in infection while the wort sat and waited for the yeast.

I keep sniffing the glass ... definitely paint solvent with pineapple

I keep sniffing the glass ... definitely paint solvent with pineapple

Paint solvent + pineapple makes me think of phenols and esters. Both would come from stressed yeast, and/or infection. The phenols can also come from chlorine in the brewing water, but not the fruitiness. Oversparging can also cause some phenols, but this makes me think more of infection.

could be an infection, but i do it at a good time and still boiling wort is transferred to sanitized fermenter. but of course there is always a chance of getting infected.
But after from all the explanations here and some post I read I think my problem came yeast stressed.
I'll wait a few more days, and maybe do an experiment and splitting by adding more yeast and wort to see if I can cover up the off flavor.
Thank you all for the help.

Myself I´ll just bottle and forget about the bottles for a good 6 months some of the esters will mellow a tad. Don´t think that repitching will help.

BINGO! That pretty much describes my experience with S-23. I made the worst beers I've ever made (out of 427 batches!) when I used S-23.

ok, I decided to proceed as follows: splitting the beer into two keg. In one i put 30gr off Saaz, and the other added 1 liter of wort made ​​from cane sugar and honey (only for start fermentation) and an envelope of s-04.
I can guarantee that the two are better now because of the maturing ...
but the first one with 30gr Saaz, was very good, hops covered up the off flavor very well.
I did not notice much difference for the second keg, so I add 30gr Saaz him too.

Thank you all for the help. Next time, I will take care to make a bigger starter.

ops, I did again! :(:(
This time it was an ale.
brew, as usual my house ale. When I opened the container with recovered yeast, it was contaminated. And it was only 1/2 s-04 packet of yeast in the refrigerator. Quickly made a starter with this yeast, but the recipe was 60 liters!:D
It took about 2 days to get fermentation signal. I passed to the secondary the most muddy beer of my life. after a secondary weekend, nothing has changed.
I had to add gelatin.
Gelatin fairly cleared beer, but when tried a PET 2 liter Bam! that taste of green beer, chlorine and cleaner was there!
Now I'm trying alternatives to try to change the flavor and aroma of it.
Added 50gr of nuget to dry hop. I removed a sample and left 48 hours exposed to UV light in a transparent plastic bottle.
Just try it, and I can say it has improved a lot! remember Heineken.
Over the next days I will continue posting the results!

Back